• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents for chapters without heading

Enthusiast ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a religious book. The chapters have way too long heading and I do not want to create a table of contents with such a long heading. When I make TOC, I want to alter the headings displayed in it. I want to show verse numbers like :

Verse 1-200.................1

Verse 201- 300............2

Verse 301-400.............3   and so on

Currently I am have anchored a separate text box with long heading of the chapters and I have given alternate heading to Verse heading in the anchored text box and make it non printing and using this for TOC.

One more method is coming in my mind is Index entries, however, I would like to avoid this method too.

I was trying one more method and need help in this method.

Suppose the actual heading of my Chapter is "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps over the lazy dog" with paragraph style "Heading". I have typed "Verse 1-100" as an alternate heading for this chapter before original heading and given a style "Alternate Heading" with 0.1pt font size and 0pt leading and color none. Issue is when I give a page break in original heading, I want the alternate heading to go along with the original heading to the next page so that Page Numbers generate properly in TOC. I have given keep options but for some reason it is not working. I mean the Alternate heading which is above Original Heading is not moving to next page.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long description.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the alternate heading in a separate frame and anchor it to the real heading, perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Peter. Currently i am doing the same thing which you
mentioned. I was looking for some alternate method.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get the sense from your original post that you were using an anchored object foir the alternate. That would move with your heading.

I was thinking that perhaps a running header variable might be adapted in some way, but they're based on text that appears, so I think that's a dead end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shahidr100:

How about adding the page break in front of Alternate Heading instead of in front of Heading? I know it is hard to figure out where to do that in Layout view, but you can open Story Editor and easily add it in front of the Alternate Heading.

~Barb

creative toc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb 

Sorry for the late reply. I thought of that already, however, there are some pages which have more than one heading eg Verse 200-205 and the after few lines Verse 206-210, both of them are in same page. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want both in the TOC or just the first one? If the TOC collects the Alt Heads, then both will appear on their own lines in the TOC, with the same page number. That seems like what you would want.

Verse 200-205...3

Verse 206-210...3

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Add the additional heading for the toc in an anchored frame, at the end format the text for the toc inside the anchrored frame with a color none, so they become invisible but are still technically here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines