Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of contents: get rid of the extra returns

Guide ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community!

This is something that really annoys me: why Indesign keep generating two extra paragraph returns at the end of a generated TOC?

I can't see any good reason for that (maybe there is one...)

In the best case, it's just ugly.

In a bad case, it generates a text in excess error.

And in the worst case (see pic below), it can even autoreflow and create a blank page...

Googling this question didn't help to find any satisfying solution to automatically get rid of them.

Would anybody have an idea on how to tweak this annoyance (or at least can someone tell me if there is a reason for it) ?

Thanks

Vinny

toc.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Seems like it's a "feature" of earlier versions... On Win7/CS6 I have a TOC exactly as yours (with extra returns). However, on Win10/CC2017.0 (12.0.0.81 x64 build) it originally looks like you want:

TOC2017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You probably have two paragraph returns in your text document on which you applied paragraph style that is included in the table of contents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for your answer.

Nope there is no paragraph return in the text document.

Can't you reproduce this? Maybe it's a question of version then... I'm using CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign detects the text that is associated with the paragraph style specified in the table of contents, including the empty paragraphs (end paragraph symbol) also for the CS6 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I know that, but believe me, even if there is no empty paragraph, TOC still generates two extra returns.

See this ultra-minified example:

toc2.jpg

I thought it was a well-known "issue", but since you don't seem to find it "normal" behavior, I wondered if you don't get this behavior, and if not, what was your Indd version.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it's a "feature" of earlier versions... On Win7/CS6 I have a TOC exactly as yours (with extra returns). However, on Win10/CC2017.0 (12.0.0.81 x64 build) it originally looks like you want:

TOC2017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Winterm

Thanks for your answer. I kinda suspected that, thxs for confirming.

So there is a way to get rid of this, it's called updating ^^

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a "solution" that does not involve either updating or a script? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines