Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents - Include Text

New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a page which I want to include in the table of contents but I don't want to add visible text on that page (the text is provided from a placed PDF graphics).

I tried to add text (paragraph style that is used for creating the TOC) that is outside the paper space or  add it to a different layer and then turn it off but in both cases it did't work.

Is theree a work around to achive what I am looking for without having to do the TOC manually?

TOC.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

I think I can help here:

1. Create your text, putting it on a layer beneath your placed map.

2. Highlight all the text. Color it with [None] in your Swatches panel.

3. With your text still highlighted, go to your Paragraph Styles panel and create a new paragraph style named ToC Entry.

4. When you create your ToC, be sure to use the ToC Entry style.

That should work cleanly for you. Placing your ToC text entry off the page doesn't give any indication what page the entry is on, because of cour

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can help here:

1. Create your text, putting it on a layer beneath your placed map.

2. Highlight all the text. Color it with [None] in your Swatches panel.

3. With your text still highlighted, go to your Paragraph Styles panel and create a new paragraph style named ToC Entry.

4. When you create your ToC, be sure to use the ToC Entry style.

That should work cleanly for you. Placing your ToC text entry off the page doesn't give any indication what page the entry is on, because of course it is not. And turning off the layer effectively precludes using the text in your final document. You need real text, on a live layer, to get things to work. But there's nothing that says your text actually has to be visible to be picked up as you generate your ToC.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, but if the text is in extra frames, the order in the toc is shuffeld around. Therefor I would add invisible text in anchored frames, anchored where they should be in the order. 

During work I would make them with visible color, like eye-cancer-pink, but at the end I change it to none color. The frames must not have text wrapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines