• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents is not working properly

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book that was made by another company. The files are a mess, but I have tried to clean it up as best as I can. I set up the TOC which looks like it works, but for some unknown reason certain headings are not coming in. They are styled the same as other headings but they refuse to come in. Anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

So the new table thing actually didn't work, what did work was splitting the table into several tables. The problem seems to be the repeating row for some unknown problem. The weird part is some other tables that span pages work? One more indesign bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue, there are a few possible causes.

check that the header style doesn't have multiple versions. I use header 1 header 2 etc but also have header 1 (no toc), header 2 (no TOC) so i can make a header look the same but doesn't appear in the Table of Contents perhaps this is being done. You may also want to try making a new text box on the page with the header 1 etc to check if the new one appears, if it does then style grab it for the other header that isn't appearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the Headers in your layout may not have your Header Paragraph Style applied. To find issues with Paragraph Styles, press the [+] button to the upper right in the Paragraph Styles panel. This will highlight issues to make them easier to find and fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the header style and there seems to be nothing wrong with it, no overrides either. I've tried deleting the text box on the page that is giving me trouble and exporting the problem file to IDML and that doesn't work either. I'm running out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured out why it's not coming in but I have no idea how to fix it. The title I'm trying to get in resides in a complicated table. Recreating the table fixes it but I would rather not do this. There is a lot of information on the table and don't want to mess with it. Indesign has decided for whatever the reason doesn't like the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if the Title is not part of the Table?

If it does, try copying and pasting this Frame into the title cell. This will make it into an Anchored Object. If it is not positioned as you'd like, drag it up or down in the cell.

If this is set up as a Header (Table > Convert Rows > to Header), it should repeat automatically in subsequent columns/pages like a real Header.

Just a guess, but worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will only work if I create a new table. It presently is a repeating header and I have tried creating a new cell and putting back the content. If I create a new table above it and use the same content from the table it comes into the TOC. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I need the document to have bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the new table thing actually didn't work, what did work was splitting the table into several tables. The problem seems to be the repeating row for some unknown problem. The weird part is some other tables that span pages work? One more indesign bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the same issue, but I corrected it by making sure there is a full paragraph space between tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should be marked as the correct answer. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines