• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of contents stopped working

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing a table of contents for a book. This used to work, I've used it many times. Now it will create a TOC the first time, but if I try again, it only generates a document with one word "contents." Also, although I use the font New Order throughout the book, When I create a TOC Style, it will not show New Order as available.

Also, when I try to create a new TOC, it only does an Update, and nothing happens. I've tried on two different computers with both the latest version of InDesign (17.4) and also an older version-17.1.

I have also imported a TOC from an older book. It works the first time, but then experiences the same problems as above.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A subtle point of TOC "styles" — which are complete schema definitions, not really "styles" as the term is used elsewhere in ID — is that any changes made to a style are only used once, the first time, and then lost. If you set up a TOC model and generate the TOC, it will work fine. Go back and generate it again... and much of the setup and changes will be missing.

You MUST define a custom style and save it each and every time you make any changes to avoid this silent glitch.

Not sure if that's what's causing your problem, but it's the first thing I can suggest.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm going to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not clear to me if the rest of the text is disappearing whne you try to update the TOC.

If it is it means you've put the TOC in a frame threaded to the text. You must put the TOC in its own story (frame not threaded to other content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point. Unless the layout is very complex, I make it a practice always to drag out a new text frame when I change a TOC. (Updates will just use the existing frame.)

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines