Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

table style

Enthusiast ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I drew a table with a table style (Table).

In the 3rd screenshot, I applied the table style (Table) to a table above.

But the yellow column doesn't appear.

Do you have any comment on it?

Hosun

Table Style (Table)Table Style (Table)Table Style (Table)Table Style (Table)applying Table Style (Table) to the above tableapplying Table Style (Table) to the above table

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

You can define cell styles to columns in a table style. Did you do that? If so, I'd say it's overrides.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-tables-that-wont-accept-table-and-cell-styles/

2022-12-29_07-23-43 (1).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are getting outside m y comfort zone -- I hate working with tables -- but in cases where things don't happen that you think ought to be happeening it's usually caused by some other attribute applied at a higher level as an override. I'd take a close look at the cell style applied to those cells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd rather use Paragraph Style and Cell Style, dropping Table Style.

Hosun

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 4.43.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Hosun ,

to make it more clear perhaps:

InDesign's table styles do know of rows: header rows, body rows and footer rows where you can assign cell styles automatically. Also all kinds of frequency with changing fills for whole rows of cells. That's it. No less, no more.

That means a table style cannot apply different cell styles to distinct columns like the first one in your screenshot with the yellow filled cells.

For designs like that you have to apply cell sytles manually by selecting the cells.

Or you do manaul overrides with the fill color of selected cells.

If you want to do more automatically or semi-automatically you need the assistance of a payed plug-in like Woodwing's AutoStyle for InDesign or you need to write a script to do the job for you.

NOTE:

For formatting the first and the last column of a table using a table style see Barb's comment below.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

EDITED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note: I unmarked my answer as correct one.

Parts of it are correct. Parts are not.

Thank you @Barb Binder for reminding me on the options we have for formatting table columns!

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can define cell styles to columns in a table style. Did you do that? If so, I'd say it's overrides.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-tables-that-wont-accept-table-and-cell-styles/

2022-12-29_07-23-43 (1).gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines