• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table Styles

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The table styles window is grayed out and I cannot click on it. How do I make it where I can select a table option?

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 1.29.29 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

These styles will be grayed out is when the Story Editor is active or the text cursor is inside a text frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

You must use Table > Convert Text to Table because it's the only way to take tabular text and do the conversion. It's really very easy. Here's a simple Word document with tabular text:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.18.43 PM.png

Choose Table > Convert Text to Table:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.23.11 PM.png

I usually just accept the default unless a Table Style has already been created in which case it can be selected. Click OK.

Voila!

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.19.20 PM.png

Then you begin editing the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These styles will be grayed out is when the Story Editor is active or the text cursor is inside a text frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Do you know if there is any shortcut to convert text to table than to go through the table tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use Table > Convert Text to Table because it's the only way to take tabular text and do the conversion. It's really very easy. Here's a simple Word document with tabular text:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.18.43 PM.png

Choose Table > Convert Text to Table:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.23.11 PM.png

I usually just accept the default unless a Table Style has already been created in which case it can be selected. Click OK.

Voila!

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.19.20 PM.png

Then you begin editing the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two other ways of creating tables:

(1) Choose Table > Create Table:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.30.02 PM.png

or (2) Place a Microsoft Word table or Excel spreadsheet. Here's a Word table placed:

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.39.34 PM.png

It would require some reformatting using the InDesign Table commands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having such a problem in InDesign 2023 on my MacBook Pro 2021

Please provide more information about your system: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using. Is this happening in all files or just in one file?

If all files, you may need to restore InDesign preferences and caches:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

If just one file, you may have a corrupted file: Choose File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML] and save an IDML file which can remove corruption. Open the IDML file in InDesign,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My assumption was that you had encountered this with nothing selected or were in a table. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines