• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tagging in InDesign - Figure labels?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tagging an illustrated PDF I am working on and have assigned the usual tags (H1, H2 etc for headings, P for paragraph, Figure for important images) but I can't figure out what I should be tagging the image labels as. The labels aren't part of the images themselves, so not like text on a PNG (so that they can be screen readable) and have been added in Indesign.

The images vary but for instance, one is an illustration of DNA with labels of important structures. I wouldn't say they are captions because they aren't long sentences explaining the image, and they aren't lists, as they don't come one after the other/aren't presented as a list. Can anyone give me advice on what tag to use here? Should I be tagging the labels under the Figure tag along with the images?

Thanks so much for your help.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Paragraph/Character style names for the export tagging setting? 

If the former, you can name styles anything you want. 

If the latter, I you could use the P tag with a class assigned to it. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. I'm relatively new at tagging and still learning, but assigning a p tag with a class seems more like a html thing than a PDF - is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct. There are no classes in PDF, only the tags themselves.

@Creamer Training probably thought you were referring the the HTML/EPUB part of the InDesign dialogue box, which does indeed have the option for classes on tags.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are simply referring to a naming system for your paragraph and character styles, you can name them whatever makes sense for your workflow. Are you looking for suggestions for style (tag) names?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... but I can't figure out what I should be tagging the image labels as. The labels aren't part of the images themselves, so not like text on a PNG (so that they can be screen readable) and have been added in Indesign.

The images vary but for instance, one is an illustration of DNA with labels of important structures. I wouldn't say they are captions because they aren't long sentences explaining the image, and they aren't lists, as they don't come one after the other/aren't presented as a list. Can anyone give me advice on what tag to use here? Should I be tagging the labels under the Figure tag along with the images?

By @ELDUN

Without seeing what you're designing, it's difficult to guide you.

Generally when live text describes the graphic and is near the graphic, it's given the <Caption> tag, even if they aren't long sentences.  Examples:

• Figure 1: Blue widgets.
  • A traditional short paragraph/caption in National Geographic Magazine.

<Caption> is the only tag in the PDF/UA standard that tags the text that describes a graphic.

List would be totally inappropriate.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines