• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text all staying on one line in header of InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a publication layout a few years back that already has the header setup in it. The header automatically grabs the Author paragraph style and enters the text. For the first time I have so many authors that it is overlaying the names all on one line. I need to figure out how to give that line the ability to split into two lines. See the image below. What setting am I missing. I have even tried to just change it in my master page to basic paragraph and set it to have the same font style and it still all goes on one line.

header.png

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

I believe the answer is to convert the variable to text. Take a look here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html#delete_convert_and_import_text_variables

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Schermata 2021-08-24 alle 09.10.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the answer is to convert the variable to text. Take a look here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html#delete_convert_and_import_text_variables

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I convert to text it just shows the variable in the header <Author Name>.

I looked at the variable and it says Running Header (Paragraph style) but I don't see anything else I can change it to that makes sense to create two lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this statement "There is no way to make a text variable break over two lines without converting the variable to text (choose Type > Text Variables > Convert Variable to Text). Doing so will allow the text to break over more than one line, but sacrifices the link to the information in the caption." so it sounds like this is correct, it just changes the text variable to the text of the text variable and loses its link to the variable elsewhere in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THis is correct. It is an unfortunate limitation of variables. You can vote to have this feature added on Adobe's feature request forum. It appears the freture is in development, so you might not have much effect.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31023790-ma...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could do this with 2 header lines and with two character styles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermata 2021-08-24 alle 09.10.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Vladan

I have done this for a book that had 16 different running heads per spread. 

You need to use Character Styles to style the text.

And in the Text Variables instead of using Paragraph Styles choose the option to use Character Styles instead.

Then - for each variable - it picks up from the character style on the page - and not the paragraph style. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines