• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text becomes invisible when I edit it

Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since some time back, I have a growing problem with text going invisible when I start editing it. The text most often stays invisible until I jump to another page and back, or if I change my display setting (Display performance or Preview on CPU), then the text appears again.

The issue started a few versions back and the frequence is accelerating.

The issue is perfectly decsribed elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it in this forum.

I'm currently on InDesign 16.1 on a 2019 MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.15.7.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my indesign text is invisible. can you explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is what you mean (see illustration below on the left):

InvisibleSplit.jpg

When you select the type to edit it, you can't read it because the color of the type is inversed. 

A workaround: You can click the circled button at the lower right corner of the screen (the tool tip shows "Click to Split the Layotu View"). When you do this a duplicate version of the screen appears on the right. There you can edit on the left and see the result on the right. When finished, click the Split Screen button again to see the finished view of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way of editing inverted text is to use the Story Editor:

https://creativepro.com/use-story-editor-when-designing-with-text/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to the problem reported in User Voice, you should upgrade to at least InDesign 17.2 as is shown in the link you sent. Your version of InDesign is too old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks. My original post is almost two years old and the problem was eventually solved in an app update. I had forgotten all about it. My original problem was that all the text in a textbox became invisible as soon as I clicked with the text tool anywhere inside the box. It was not a question of marked text being inversed. I had the latest app version, as always. Nobody else seemed to have this problem, to judge by the response I got (zero until yesterday). It was never explained, though. One of these silent – but extremely annoying – mysteries with modern technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else resurrected your thread 😉 with an extremely vague "question"... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed. The trolls keep us busy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But since Steve took his time to answer, I thought I should just add my angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, of course 🙂 

You can edit your previous reply without posting new one - and I don't think there is a time limit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines