• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text box attributes when changing masters

Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On two master pages, everything is identical except for the margins and the correspomding text box. When I apply Master B to what had been a Master A page, the text box retains the original Master's dimensions - so I have to manually re-size the text box to fit the new margins. This is going to be really tedious for 400 pages. Is there a way the dimensions can change automatically to match the different Master?  /  Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

If the document is text only, no images, make sure that all text is threaded, the correct new master applied on the first page. Delete all pages except the first, the text will rerun all pages with the new master.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds very unusual.

I wonder if the file has some sort of  minor corruption

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

----

It could be your preferences

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

It could be more serious

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it's a big problem, as the file behaves normally otherwise? I just want my text frames to adjust to the size of the Master applied. If I change a page from Master A to Master B, it retains the width of Master A. (only the widths are different) I read somewhere else about "Liquid Layout" - don't know if that has anything to do with it? (Liquid Layout is news to me...) Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying a different master/parent page and let the text reflow in the text frame works only:

1. Use onle prinary text frames with an object style ob the master/parent page.
  2. Insert the text into the primary text frame on the page.

This will allow to reflow the text by applying  a different master/parent page. All other constellations will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'm not sure this applies? My text flows nicely throughout the document. It's the text box width, which changes bewteen Master A and Master B, that doesn't adjust when the other Maser is applied. It retains the text box margins of whichever Master I applied first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For an "ordinary" rather than Primary Text Frame on a master page thias would be expected behavior. Flowing text into those frames unlinks them from the master page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell me what I need to do / if I can remedy my dilemma? Click the icon on top left of text frame in both Masters? (Which I just did and nothing changed) Clearly I'm confused! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait! I think what I did by clicking on the text icon to make it primary did the trick! Wow. Big difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am thrilled!. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the document is text only, no images, make sure that all text is threaded, the correct new master applied on the first page. Delete all pages except the first, the text will rerun all pages with the new master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all working like a charm now. Clicking the first text box in each Master as a Primary text box did wonders. Layouts are adjusting accordingly. (Text has always flowed fine, and remains so.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made the mistake of starting without Primary Text Frames. I don't want to delete all the pages, not the first 50, as it would be a lot of cutting and pasting to save the non-threaded items, about 40 of them, which are spread along side the 50 threaded pages. So, I am trying to follow Willi Adelberger's solution. And even if I did go back to one page, does autoflow work for this, or no? I am using Mr. Adelberger's solution and it works on page 51, the text flows into the new Primary Text Frame with the updated Parent Page on p. 51 with the new margins. There is no secondary non-primary text frame created. So, I did another page. Works great. But I have 350 more pages to go. So using autoflow, however, it creates the second old Non-Primary text frame again on each page, with the old margins, which I can't use, on top of the correct margins on the new Primary Text Frame from the Parent. Am I missing a setting for Autoflow somewhere? Why does Autoflow create a Non-Primary text frame and a Primary Text Frame, when regular text placement does not? Clearly somehow because I started with a Non-Primary Text Frame. Even if I go down to one page as suggested, that one page started as with a Non-primary text frame, so will Autoflow keep doing the same thing, as it does on p. 52 onward now, all the way to page 400, with the wrong margins all over again.  Looks like I have to skip Autoflow to fix this, unless I hear otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines