Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text brakes up, WYS is not WYG

Contributor ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow Indesigners,

As you can see in the screenshots, the text is distorted (crumpled) and when browsing through pages, the text displayed sometimes is not what it should be. Adding a hard return and deleting it again causes the text to reflow (rebuilt) and become okay. But i cannot trust text anymore. Anyone else having this issue? Imac 2020, 27 inch, Monterey 12.3.1, Indesign 17.2.1, 8 gb memory, 3,3 ghz 6-core intel core i5.

Thanks in advance

Peter

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font type do you use? Font type!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use suitcase latest version (Connect fonts). And the font is calluna, but it happens with many different font as well. Like renart, or Minion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have seen this. Zooming in or out takes care of it for me, so I haven't pursued it any further.

I would take a look at disabling GPU performance and/or setting the UI scaling to small. Let us know if either one helps. Or if it ends up being a font issue. (It was a display issue and not a font issue for me.)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb. I have tried this with and without gpu performance, because we had this issue with dissappering text last months. Ui is rather small in my case.  I feel also that its a display issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing several posts of screen redraw issues lately. I have also seen it happen for me, but, like Barb, I just force a redraw by either changing view/zooming a bit and continue working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crumbling i can handle, but the incorrect text flow is a big problem. And zooming does not solve that. I really have to add a hard return and delete it again to get the right text flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it's true, but looking at the pilcrow and tab hidden characters they appear to be italics to me, which seems odd, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they appear to be italic, but they are not by label, nor style for that matter.  But the main problem is that the text on a page can or cannot be what it should be. The crumbling i can deal with, but not trusting your screen is very annoying. I usually check a document for orphans, but now i have to refresh every page, to make sure that the text on the page is actually what it should be. And i have 500 or 600 page documents....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like page 175/176. The sentence on pag 176 is NOT correct. After adding a hard return and deleting it the actual right text pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is a resources problem. Your system specs are at the low end of what I would consider adequate to run recent versions of Adobe applications.

Have you considered breaking the document into smaller pieces and combining them into a Book?

Also, is this happening to multiple files, or just this one?

Have you tried copying the fonts into a Document Fonts folder in the same folder where the document is located and disabling the Suitcase plugin. I haven't used a font manager for years, but I have to say that Suitcase has always led the list for font manager related troubles here on the forum and it would be worth seeing what happens without it.

If this appears to be an isolated problem, it would also be worth trying export to .idml and moving pages to a new document to try to remove corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have been trying to upgrade my memory but here in Bulgaria i am waiting for 8 months now to get a memory extension. It happens to several files. And with different fonts as well. In lower versions i never had this problem with Indesign. It might be a memory problem, but some other files are fine. I have also tried idml but no improvement. It might be worth it to try without suitcase. Do you activate fonts through fontbook then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Windows user and I just install through the OS.

But you shouldn't need to do anything more than create a Document Fonts folder (the spelling is case sensitive) in the same folder with the .indd file and copy the fonts into it (this is what happens when you Package a file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if this is not happeing in smaller files, I would definitely try breaking this into sections to work on individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also happens in small files (160 pages or so). I also have a e book application, also Indesign, with very basic fonts (adobe caslon pro) and labels. Even there it happens.  I am again trying to get more memory. thanks peter for your inout! Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

160 pages may not be "small" if it contains a lot of graphical content, or things like cross references and hyperlink. The more content that InDesign must track the more resources are consumed.

Do you have live preflight turned on? Try turning it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its usually plain text. No extra's. I will try turning preflight of. See what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

preflight off and gpu off no problem. gpu on, problem. new book, no images, just text. Must be display issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @designer1955,

We are sorry for the trouble. We would like to know a few more details like-

• Please share the display resolution.
  • Are you using any external monitor?
  • Please share the make and model number of your monitor's
  • What are the apps running in the background?
  • Please share the About Mac info with us.

Please try clearing the font cache and also check for any pending InDesign updates available in the Creative Cloud desktop app.

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

It is an Imac 27 inch, no external display.  Set to standard. (see screenshots) Apps: usually chrome, indesign, excel, suitcase, mail, adobe acrobat, nordvpn, creative cloud and totalAv.  See screenshot for about this mac. Indesign is always up to date (17.3). I use a limited set of fonts usally. Maybe 10 in total, besides systemfonts. Also funny is that suitcase (Connect fonts) no longer automatically opens fonts, although there is a plugin which should do that. If you need more info let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off gpu and clearing font caches has some result. But Indesign is now much slower in browsing through pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this info, @designer1955. Let me check this with the team and will get back to you. I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being patient. Please try resetting InDesign preferences. Preference settings are saved each time you quit the application. Crashing and unexpected behavior in applications can be caused due to corrupt/ damaged preferences.
Please follow these steps and let us know how it goes:

Manual Reset:

For MAC

• Close all Adobe applications
  • Go to Locations:
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old
  • Launch InDesign from the CC

1. You may also try copy-pasting the content of this file into a new file and let us know how it goes.
  2. If the above steps don't help, then as a workaround you can quickly turn off GPU by pressing the (Shift + E) shortcut and turn it ON again by pressing the same shortcut.

Note: ***Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way, all your old settings will be saved in .old folders, and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if that helps you. I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika

I can find the files in library caches but not in library preferences. In preferences i find com.adobe.InDesign.plist.  The indesign folder contains all versions. Should i rename these both to? After restart of Indesign it looked better. I will try a few days and report back. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made a new book but still some unexpected behaviour. See screenshots. Also, which i cant capture, when  i apply say -5 to a paragraph, text old way is overprinted by text new way, so double text. If i click outside indesign and back its okay again. Must be some connection between Indesign and handling of screen rebuilt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines