Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

text breaks into two lines

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

What is wrong with my text in this text frame. I do not want the text to break into two lines. I only want the text on one line inside this text frame. I have tried to remove line breaks, and make the text frame wider as shown below, replace the text, but the issue still consists:

AppA_0-1622547042603.png

AppA_1-1622547154429.png

And hidden characters are already shown

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

I can just extend the text frame to have my text on one line

Yes, for the other ones but here the text is in a cell and this cell is too narrow!

Capture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.34.53.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.39.25.jpg

And maybe the designer made this table structure to have all the images in the "right" place vertically and horisontically

No, the images are not part of the table, and furthermore, this table has 16 rows and 3 columns, so it does not match with the picture structure. Maybe you will think that I am rude, but this file is a complete mess.

So how / w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AppA,

could be an object on the page with text wrap enabled and the wrap zone forces your text to break.

Also check the value for Left Indent in the Paragraph panel and possible inset values in the text frame options.

Hm. And perhaps export that text frame to IDMS and share the IDMS file for inspecting.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

No signs of objects with text wrap nor incorrect text frame values. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a distance between the ) and the #. What is between?

Use paragraph styles, never use [Basic Paragraph]. It will reduce problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no characters between ) and #. No Styles are selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weird thing is your screen shot is that, in the story editor part, it seems that this is a table with an hyperlink and in the layout view, we see a threaded frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a table structure and also threaded frames. It works fine in all other places, except this page. I really don't know what setting is causing this problem

AppA_0-1622664314271.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that you got a similar problem in January, so I would like to understand: why do you mix threaded frames and tables?

And to understand your problem, could you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck "balance ragged lines" in your paragraph style settings.

Here the info about -

https://creativepro.com/when-to-use-balance-ragged-lines/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"balance ragged lines" was already unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, what about to give us package of this file (one page with that part of text)?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the object underneath that text box? (that we can see just poiking out to the right) Does it perhaps have a wrap assigned to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please have a look at the file attached

@Laubender 

@Geоrge 

@jmlevy 

Brad @ Roaring Mouse 

@Willi Adelberger 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is exactly what I suspected: you have created a table (I really do not understand why) and the text is in a cell which is narrower than the text frame, so it is logical that the text jumps to the second line.Capture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.01.38.jpg

Look below: I have copied all your text frames on a new page and changed the layer color, to make the hidden invisible characters more visible. There are a lot of empty useless cells. Furthermore, you do not apply any paragraph style on your text (except the Basic paragraph).

Capture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.11.03.jpg

My advice would be to either use a table and only a table OR threaded frames and only threaded frames but not both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The designer of the book actually made all the spreads the same way as far as I know, but this issue does not occur on the other pages and I can just extend the text frame to have my text on one line regardless of the table structure. So how / where can I fix this setting?

And maybe the designer made this table structure to have all the images in the "right" place vertically and horisontically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can just extend the text frame to have my text on one line

Yes, for the other ones but here the text is in a cell and this cell is too narrow!

Capture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.34.53.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 11.39.25.jpg

And maybe the designer made this table structure to have all the images in the "right" place vertically and horisontically

No, the images are not part of the table, and furthermore, this table has 16 rows and 3 columns, so it does not match with the picture structure. Maybe you will think that I am rude, but this file is a complete mess.

So how / where can I fix this setting?

See my previous answer:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/unwanted-text-split/m-p/11730693

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I ask you about? Not the single indd. We do need a package of one page with your "bug". 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/indesign-package-files-for-handoff.html

Single one file .indd can't give all the things for produce your bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Geоrge did you read my answer? The problem is in the cell size, nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I don't 🙂 thanks for checking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines