• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text changes not showing while text is selected

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update to INDD 17.2 text changes are not taking effect while text is selected with the text tool.  For example, I select a line of text in a text box and change the size from 12 to 24.  The size of the text remains at 12 until I actually click off of the text box or unselect the text. Same when changing to a different font or typeface, leading, kerning, etc.    This is annoying since often I am judging the text fit by sight and want it to change dynamically while selected until it fills the space or whatever.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any fixes?  Running Mac OS 11.6.5 (Big Sur).   I had hoped this would be fixed with the release of 17.2.1 but no such luck.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Sometimes weird things can happen with an old file saved in an older version of InDesign and then opened in a new version.

Here's a few things to try

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes weird things can happen with an old file saved in an older version of InDesign and then opened in a new version.

Here's a few things to try

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

---

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had a chance to try to preferences reset this morning and so far it seems to have fixed the issue.  Just a note to others who may try this:  After preferences reset I launched an existing INDD file and InDesign froze.  But after force-quit and re-opening the file, things seem to be running smoothly.  The first file you open may take longer to launch, and obiously you'll need to reset some of your personal preferences (like Workspace) but definitely try this before reinstall!  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problems. That's why I'm here looking for answers... I am creating the new indd from scratch, not from an old file, it doesn't matter if I copy and paste from Word or make a new text box and type new copy. Changes do not take effect until I click off of the text box. I even apply styles and they don't show up. I'm using 17.2.1 on Mac OS 10.15.7 Catalina. Very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the steps I posted???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just did and it worked! Thank you! I should have thought ahead and took screenshots of my pref's, I forgot about that part...🙃   Everything seems to be working much faster too. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines