Exit

Text Disappeared

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign ver 15.1.1 x 64
Windows 10

I use InDesign professionally as a book designer and formatter. I have used it since it was first introduced; and I used PageMaker before that.  

Today, I saved a file I am working on, then exported to PDF. Immediately after exporting the file, InDesign crashed.

When I re-opened InDesign, I got message asking if I wanted to open a recovery file (or words to that effect), which I clicked. The file was missing all text, except running headers and footers from the Master Pages. The text is missing in the actual pages (191 pages); and it is missing from the page thumbnails on the Pages panel.

The file name on the tab shows an asterisk, therefore asking if I want to save the file.  What do I do?  

As a matter of workflow, I have yesterday's file saved.  I don't want to just lose the current file if the text can be recovered. Not that it is relevant, but I save routinely every few minutes, and I create a new working file for each work session.  

Walton

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem "solved," but only because I save often.  The recovery file was c***, but the saved file was fine. 

Whatever the problem, that remains open.  And, given problems like this, another reason to support Affinity.

Walton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Find the file in file explorer and copy it somewhere. Then close InDesign without saving.

Finally, you can avoid this kind of issue by working in Dropbox or Onedrive folders which will keep a running record of versions which you can easily revert to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines