• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears from tabs once exported in Adobe Pro DC

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I export my InDesign tabbed documents, the wording on each tab disappears. Not sure what to do to fix it. Picture one shows how it appears within InDesign and the second picture is in Adobe Pro DC once exported. Suggestions?

Amanda24222947zx64_0-1651436396556.pngAmanda24222947zx64_1-1651436546125.png

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Is that an interactive PDF? Are those tabs buttons? Is the text part of it or a separate object?

If you're going to use buttons (and I highly discourage that) the text has to be included in the button since interactive items always come to the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your tab text objects don't have either Multiply applied (if created in InDesign) or Overprint applied (if they are Illustrator objects).

Also check Layer Options (i.e. if the objects are on a separate layer that has Print Layer unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that an interactive PDF? Are those tabs buttons? Is the text part of it or a separate object?

If you're going to use buttons (and I highly discourage that) the text has to be included in the button since interactive items always come to the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why you highly discourage using buttons? This is the first time I am using Indesign for something important. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they don't work in most third-party readers and can even be wonky in Acrobat or Reader. In fact, I've gotten to the point where I see almost no use at all for interactive PDFs beyond simply bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thank you for sharing. I love the idea of interactive tabs, but if the functionality isn't consistent I'll probably not use them on an important proposal.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could still use the design, but instead of buttons, convert the text to hyperlinks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amanda24222947zx64, Acrobat Bookmarks will give the same functionality.

They're easier to make, are compliant (aka, working) in most PDF viewer software. And end-users understand what they do — very intuitive.

You can have bookmarks be automatically made in the PDF by:

• Checking the option in the TOC Styles dialogue.
  • Selecting the option to include Bookmarks in the Export / Interactive settings.
  • And once the PDF is created, setting the PDF to automatically open showing the bookmarks panels so end users find the panel quickly. That's   File / Properties / Initial View, and choose the option to show both page and bookmarks panel. Then save the PDF, close it, and reopen it to test.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One area where Interactive works very well: accessible PDFs. In fact, it's the only way to make PDFs accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Bob and Bevi. Keep the document as simple as possible for the end user to navigate. You can force the PDF file to open and show bookmarks straight away. It makes it easier for users to know how to navigate in a document.

Also Interactive PDF files are not interactive anymore due to accessibility guidelines. If you need something a little more interactive then use Publish online features to create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always ask "WHY?"

Why do you need it to be "interactive?" (this might be a buzz word used by others to make it sound more interesting)

Why does the end user need buttons or other features to move around the page or show/hide content?

Why is the information not clear enough or designed properly to make it readable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Interactive PDF files are not interactive anymore due to accessibility guidelines. If you need something a little more interactive then use Publish online features to create it.

By @Ian Sayers

Great way to say it!

But I do wonder if we EVER had true interactivity in PDF in the first place.  <grin>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on your definition of interactivity. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you can force it to open and show bookmarks in Acrobat or Reader. All bets are off with any other PDF reader including honoring the bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines