• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16.2.1 is not M1 native. 16.3 which is rolling out now should help you here.

Keep an eye out for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ID 16.3.2 and I am seeing these problems. I am using a new M1 Mac Mini. Randomly when I add text to a text frame, or reformat text, the text box will show as being empty. Nudging left and right fixes it, but it is clearly an error which Adobe needs to face up to and address. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i didn't have this problem until InDesign updated today to 16.4.
Now i have this problem and it is causing problems in the PDF generated form indd compromising the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue in 17.0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem in 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Select the text box and under the Edit menu, select Edit in Story Editor so that you can see if the text is present on the page. If it is, check the size of the font, the leading and colour to see if one or more of these features is causing the text to not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, 

I'm using 

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1

When I opened up story editor, the text is there, but everything is showing right to left, which is very puzzling! I'm wondering if these are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. InDesign 16.3 has already been released in a few countries and soon will be available to all. If it is not available for you right now, please install it from the pre-release tab in Creative Cloud and let us know if that helps resoving this issue.

16.3 beta.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I tried to download it but it said that the beta has expired. I guess I'll just need to wait for the update! I'm in Canada. Hopefully it's soon!

Thanks,

Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue... running InDesign 16.2.1 and there is no Pre-release tab in my Creative Cloud window. (See photo attached)  When will 16.3 be released in the US?  I can't do my job efficiently with the text disappearing every minute.  Thank you for any info you can give me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this inconvience. Please sign for pre-release version here ( https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/C6DFA254-C40C-4EEB-8F6D-F4AEDA2E6171 ). 

Once done, please sign out and sign in to Creative Cloud with same ID. You'll see pre-release tab in your Creative Cloud app.

@Elaine5E3A I think you are trying to install the version from Beta tab. That is expired already. Try the installing the app as suggested above.

Let us know if you need any help!

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was able to download and launch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine.... did that fix the problem?  Just checking before I download the Pre-Release.  Thansks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working perfectly so far! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, spoke too soon. I still have the problem. It's not happening as often, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update!  I won't download it then.  So, does that mean that the update won't fix it either???  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely better than it was before, but the issue wasn't fixed completely. 

So I guess not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to do, it still happens, sob...

• Mac OS 11.4
  • iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous.  I CANNOT work this way.  There has to be a solution.  Adobe needs to fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, I am severely slowing down my work and no one will pay me back for this loss... please, do something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olà Adobe! Is there someone there? Maybe an answer... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100% i've put up with this for well over a month now - since upgrading to an M1 iMac (Which i'd argue is worst than my old Intel iMac). Every update i've done doesn't fix the issue and in-fact seems to make it worst. I've even tried an older version of indesign to no avail.

It's pathetic that Adobe haven't fixed this issue - made even worse by the fact we have to pay a subscription fee every month but we can't do our jobs effectively using their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I am really annoyed that Adobe fails to acknowledge the problem - they have all our emails because we have accounts (which we of course pay heaps for, especially in Australia).

All I can suggest is that users close as many other apps as possible when using Indesign. I often need a graphics program (Affinity) the web and excel open in order to complete my work tasks.

Come on, Adobe. Lift your game. Support your users. In my own instance may business partner and I pay $900 per year. The disrupted workflow has crushed my productivity.

Class action anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue -- since October. This really needs to be fixed. If I change the zoom the text reappears but it is slowing down my workflow and creating errors! Please, please fix this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines