• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

As you can see from the responses below, the pre-release version has not fixed the problem we are all having.  This is extremely frustrating and I hope it can be addressed sooner than later.  Please respond with an answer... preferably, one that will actually help the situation.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same problem, and the uncheck ffor GPU helped a little bit but it was stil there.

We also had an App called Qfinder Installed for Server accses, wich kinda made a couple of Problems on Big sur... We deleted the App yesterday and since then everything seems to work... maybe there is an App on your System like a antivirus programm or something like Qfinder wich corrupts inDesign...

just a suggestion and I will keep you Updated if something changes..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insights... I'll see if there are any apps that are interfering.  If it's a simple fix like that, how awesome would that be??!!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

until now there never was an InDesign version available in the Beta tab.

All prerelease versions are always in the Prerelease tab of the CC Desktop App.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly a "Correct answer"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to change the CPU preferences (untick) and saw an immediate improvement. 2 days later, however, the problem has returned. PLEASE direct some attention to this problem. The Indesign app is my income!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on iMac 2021 M1 8Gb Ram and I have the same text box disappearing problem. Yesterday I updated to 16.3 but the problem persists. Any ideas or solutions for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have - as recommended here in another thread - switched off the GPU Performance in the Indesign settings... It worked! So far I don't have a problem with the disappearing text boxes anymore 🙂
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the GPU setting and it's not even on.  And my text still disappears.  AND I just upgraded to the latest version that was available 2 days ago.  BEYOND FRUSTRATED now. 

Thanks anyway!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens to me: I change the CPU preferences but the text keeps disappearing. 

It's not possible to work like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just dowloaded ID 16.3.2 on an M1 Mac and guess what - the text still disappears. Have to bring it back in a variety of ways. "Oh don't worry," said some sarcastic response, "just wait until the new version comes out that runs natively on the M1" I waited, and now? Same thing. Hell, it's frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting used to "hide guides, show guides" every 2 seconds, aren't you??  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just downgraded the Version to 16.2 and it works better... maybe they fix that some day but for the time its better then nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping the M1 version of InDesign would fix the issue but it does not. Very annoying. This happens on all versions of InDesign from 15.0.1 through today's M1 version release 16.3.2. Tech support had me uncheck GPU Performance in prefs and for awhile I couldn't replicate the issue. Now it's back.

- Mac OS 11.4

- MacBook Pro M1 2020

- InDesign 16.3.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I worked with Apple support on this issue today (and a month ago, and a month before that) as well. Their conclusion is that it is an Adobe issue. While it may be, I have text issues using Apple TextEdit as well, with odd spacing when pasting text requiring the window to be resized to get the spacing to disappear. No solution to that issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to +1 this.

It's an ongoing issue for me too and it's beyond frustrating. It feels like M1 users are being punished for getting an M1 machine. InDesign is vital to my day-to-day work - what good is a new computer if it renders vital software barely usable? I've been using my 2013 MBP - it might be slow, but at least it doesn't glitch out.

All around just completely infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a follow-up on the InDesign invisible text issue... I was working with an Apple Engineer regarding odd text issues with Text Edit. He had me reset the TextEdit prefs to default settings and then reconfigure to my liking. The TextEdit issues dissappeared. SO DID MY INDESIGN ISSUES! I routinely prep document content in TextEdit, and then copy into InDesign. I couldn't replicate my issue in InDesign with the Apple Engineer, so I turned back on GPU Performance knowing it would surely cause the issue to reappear right away, but NO it did not. So now I've been running with GPU Performance back on and for the last 24 hours everything has been working great with InDesign.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.5
  • Macbook Pro M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.3.2 (the M1 version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update... sad to say the problem has reappeared today. At first there were no issues with invisible text (running with GPU Performance on!) but then after about 10 minutes it began, I turned GPU Performance off, and yet it continues and gets worse and worse. Sorry to get peoples' hopes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I not surprised!?  Too bad... was hoping you had a solution!  Maybe one day Adobe and Apple will figure this out and we can ALL get some work done.  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meanwhile there is yet another version to test on InDesign Prerelease.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even going to bother trying it... I need confirmation of the issue being resolved before downloading any update.  Every day I work in this program and every day I have problems.  This has been going on WAY too long now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the issue is far worse when one of my external drives is working, such as when Adobe autosaves, especially when Time Machine is saving, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this as well, and so far it's working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! Still having issues with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scully20 said:

"Not even going to bother trying it... I need confirmation of the issue being resolved before downloading any update. "

Installing a prerelease version does not hurt. It will run side-by-side with the released version.

I'm on Windows 10 and cannot see the issue. I would sign in to InDesign Prerelease. There is a prerelease forum where you can ask all this. Also look after bug reports there or bug discussions around the problem.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines