Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021
Hi All, We're currently investigating this issue. We'd appreciate if you could share the information listed below: 1. Version of the OS & InDesign. 2. Device Information. 3. Whether it happens with GPU Performance enabled/disabled or both. 4. Does resetting TextEdit preferences on macOS help? 4. A sample of the file. 5. Preferences files(You may find the location of these files here). This information would help us assist you accordingly. You can share the information with me over DM. Rega...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021
Hi All, Sorry to hear about your experience. We're still working on the fix however we have observed this workflow shared below has helped on some machines. Could you try these and share your observations: 1. Open FontBook, 2. Select all fonts 3. Right-click and select Validate fonts, 4. Delete the font that was marked as having Issues.  5. Restart InDesign.  Hope this is helpful! Regards, Ashutosh

Translate

Translate
replies 431 Replies 431
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16.4 did not fix the bug, lol

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, I am still having this problem after trying all of the fixes below. I am on the current InDesign Update 16.4. It seems to happen when I copy and paste text from another program like MS Word into InDesign. The text is there initially, but as soon as I type it disappears. I then end up needing to zoom in and out to display it. Every change I make, the text disappears again!!! So extremely frustrating. I don't know what to do... I can see it's not just me?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and I'm to the point where I'm not sure if I can use this program any longer. EVERY TIME I type something, all the text disappears. Then, I have to scroll down the page and back up to make the text reappar. I simply can't get my work done. I reported this problem a month ago, and I was told to upgrade to the latest version, which I did. It fixed the problem for a day, and then it started happening again, although only once in a while. Now it is EVERY TIME! What is Adobe going to do about fixing this problem?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very odd that Adobe hasn't formally acknowledged that this is an issue, or made any progress on it, even though it's been afflicting M1 Mac owners for months. The conditions under which the disappearing text occurs is, by many accounts, quite common and easily replicable.

This isn't a randomly occuring problem for users of M1 Macs; it literally happens every single time we edit text, and editing/laying out text is arguably the point of InDesign. This has had a disastrous effect on our daily workflows, of which InDesign is our main tool. Constantly zooming/scrolling/switching viewing modes is not a solution when you're typsetting/editing a 120-page document. This is doubly painful, because we are dutifully paying our subscriptions every month...

Adobe: do not be Quark. I was there when Quark got complacent and people switched away to InDesign. I have since purchsed a copy of Affinity Publisher and not only is it more stable and snappier than InDesign at the moment, it is fully optimised for the M1 architecture. A workflow switch would be painful, and I really like using InDesign, but I'm not sure Adobe realises how incredibly broken and unuseable it is right now. InDesign's fundamental raison d'être seems indefinitely kneecapped.

Adobe, please make this a priority.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

OS 11.6

M1 processor

Indesign 16.4

I have this problem now for more than 6 months

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I've noticed that helps is when I restart my computer, the text will stop disappearing for a couple of days. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but it is effective. I quit out of InDesign, restart my computer and then reopen InDesign. Unfortunately, after two or three days, the text starts disappearing again, and I have to reboot. But, at least I can work!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Running 16.4 in InDesign. I have the MacBook Pro M1 13inch. It's super frustrating because I cannot edit when my type keeps disappearing. I am hoping a new update will happen soon that will fix this issue??

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous! Adobe InDesign 16.4 has become unusable for me because any text I add to a document disappears and I must scroll up or down or readjust the textbox to get it to reappear. This has been going on for quite a while and it doesn't seem that Adobe is responding very well to the complaints people have about it. I'm going to have to install an earlier version of InDesign so I can work without this extremely annoying problem. The upgrade to 16.4 certainly hasn't fixed it!

Running: MacOs 11.5.2

Macbook Air M1 2020

Indesign 16.4

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quite agree. It’s almost unbelievable that Adobe’s way of managing this serious problem is to ignore it. Apart from the odd message from a developer, there has been nothing; no acknowledgement of the huge problem this is causing. Ensuring that Indesign is never running alongside any other Adobe programme seems to be a workaround, but it is not a fix. We need to be able to use all the suite together. A I have said previously, and as others have commented, this is what Quark did way back – and it became their undoing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. 

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.6
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.4

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big update today. 17.0.

wonder if they listened.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With hope I upgraded to Mac OS 12.0.1 and InDesign 17.0. Amazingly, the text issue is bad, worse than yesterday. How can this be going on for over 12 months without a solution? InDesign is cripled by the M1. I assume it is the M1 because my 2014 iMac with the same 8 GB of RAM performed far better with InDesign.

• Macbook Pro M1 2020
  • Mac OS 12.0.1
  • InDesign 17.0

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue with text disapearing while typing or after. Only shows up again if I move the document with the hand tool. New Mac Mini. All updated Adobe programs (InDesign 16.4)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feedback: One thing I have noticed is this only seems to happen in "High Quality Display" setting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, it's happening still in "Typical Display" setting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that seems to be the trend. Just when you think you've changed something to keep the text from disappearing, it starts disappearing all over again!

Ronale Tucker Rhodes
Editor-in-Chief
IG Living magazine
BioSupply Trends Quarterly magazine
(951) 296-2500 x1362
(800) 843-7477 x1362
www.IGLiving.com
www.BSTQuarterly.com

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Imac 2021 M1 and Indesign 16.4.
It seems like a visual glitch, that the text in Indesig is simply disappearing. It comes back by scrolling in and out – but this kills every workflow. The problem is so grave, that I had to abandon work and use my old macbook – please help @adobe

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off GPU in the preferences

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: when I work in a text box on an Adobe InDesign layout – rewriting text or cutting or pasting – the text keeps ‘disappearing’; I have to zoom in or out to make the text visible again.

I have a MacBook Air (M1 2020), it runs on Big Sur Version 11.5.2, and I work in Adobe InDesign 16.4. The laptop has only the integrated graphics processor.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue that still needs a solve. Until recently, InDesign did not even run natively on an M1 Mac. As with any new versions (especially ones that require writing new code that will satisfy a number of different processors and computer chips) it will still need some time to make everything work right.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running the new MacBook Pro 14" since yesterday evening and have not had a single incident of the text disappearing.

Yet.

It's running the new MacOS (Monterey) 16GB RAM and InDesign v17, which was also released yesterday. I'm also running a 4k display, in addition to the native 14" screen.

I'll update here to let everyone know if the text issue returns as the day wears on.

I know this doesn't help anyone who didn't get a shiny new laptop yesterday, but it's interesting to note that the disappearing text hasn't been an issue after several hours of working.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, day 2 of using InDesign 17.0 with the new MBP 14" (M1 Pro chip) and still not a single issue with disappearing type, or anything, really. 

Very heavy workflow all day. Two screens, Premiere Pro, InDeisgn, Safari, Illustrator (and several more) all open at the same time.

Starting to wonder if this is exclusively an M1 first gen issue...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd need people to pipe in that have the same issue while not using an M1 Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me. 

Modelnaam: Apple T2 Security-chip

Firmwareversie: 19P549

I checked the fontbook but now its even worse.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines