• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

1. macOS 11.6, ID 16.4

2. 2020 Mac Mini M1

3. Both when GPU Performance is enabled and disabled

4. The problem persists

4. Every single file that I work on is affected in exactly the same way

5. Unable to locate it for the moment (apologies)

I have an Intel MBP from late 2013 running the latest version of InDesign, and the problem simply doesn't exist on that machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't beleive you read these threads and didn't ask for the one spec all the M1 systems have in common, which is 8GB of ram. If you want to replicate the problem simply get any M1 Mac with 8GB of ram running any version of OSX, and any version of M1 InDesign and start using the text tool for 5 minutes. You'll be able to observe this bug at your leisure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I read these posts and see the commonality among us all.  How Adobe can't see what we are experiencing is so frustrating.... as if we don't know what we are doing in the program.  It's like someone shutting off the lights in a room and we have to constantly turn them on again to see what we are working on!  ENOUGH ALREADY!!  I'm ready to go back to good old QuarkXPress.  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 8GB M1 Mac Mini and the 16GB version and it's exactly the same on both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 16GB and still getting it????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Mac OS 10.14.6 and Indesign 16.4
  2. Mac Book Pro 15” Retina Late 2013
  3. I had a similar problem but with images that didn’t display correctly when I added a shadow or tilted the image or changed the shape to a circle. The images disappeared in the preview mode. Or the frame around the image disappeared when I tilted it. The problem was gone when I turned off the GPU Performance.
  4.  (My issue was not with the text.)
  5.  I'm not sure wich file to attach...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

1. MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 + InDesign 2022 (17.0)

2. MacBook Air (M1, 2020) 

3. Happens in both viewing screens

4. Resetting prefs doesn't work. 

4b. Happens will all of my InDesign files

5. Not sure what you are looking for in preference files, a screen shot of each section? I've never altered these preferences.

I'm not seeing any new revolations for this issue, so I'm replying. Overall my laptop is only a few months old, I didn't have any issue the first month, but now it's every project I work on in InDesign. I just went from BigSur to Monteray, both OS systems had the same issue. As you can see I'm working on the the latest version of InDesign too. It's always up to date. Any help would be appreciated. It's very disruptive to mine and everyone elses work flow.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until the InDesign team learns how to work fully with M1, or remove legacy code or whatever is clogging it up, the only way to get past this issue is to turn off and back on the GPU Performance checkbox whenever the issue crops up. I have to do it a few times a day on an M1 mini with 16GB RAM.

The issue is over half a year old regarding M1 Macs, but it goes back to at least 2017 (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/20408851-indesign-perfo...). So.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's what I do all day long, toggle. So yes, it's a quick fix at least, but still frustrating none-the-less. Thanks for the response. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the "fix" yet! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF ONLY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashutosh— Your absence on this thread for the past two months is disgusting. Are you still investigating this issue? How about a progress report. Adobe's lack of response to this issue incomprehensible and reeks of disregard for all us who have been loyal to Adobe over the years. Get with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree, Robert. It’s nothing less than a disgrace. Years of support for Adobe from loyal customers and this is their response - or lack of one. Adobe will pay a price on time for this. Meanwhile, Adobe: respond and deal with this chaos. Get a grip on Indesign / M1 chip problem.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disgusting is inappropriate--frustrating would be more apropos. And there was no need to call out Ashutosh directly.

Ashutosh's job description is Senior Technical Support Consultant, who I suspect feeds information to the programmer team(s). These teams generally don't give progress reports (there could be legal implications here)--they just release new updates after testing. 

Get mad at Adobe and/or Apple corporations, but don't make it personal against a single person. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cream-Training—I apologize if my use of the word disgusting gave the impression I was criticizing Ashutosh personally. That certainly wasn't my intent and I'm sure he's a fine person and an excellent support consultant. Not to debate semantics, however, he represents Adobe, who so far, has failed to deal with this serious issue. I'm sure this failure has disgusted many people, like myself. To give Ashutosh credit, he's the only Adobe representative who has responded to the issue in the last two months. No one is blaming him, but a multitude of people are mad and frustrated with Adobe over the issue, which unfortunately, that hasn't elicited a response from them in over two months, much less a solution. Adobe's silence portends a disregard for its customers, so even an update that they are still working on the problem would be encouraging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. OS 11.5.2, InDesign 16.2.1

2. MacBook Air M1 2020

3. No idea status of GPU Performance, and I don't care to poke around to do the analysis that Adobe should do.

4. No interest in resetting any preferences. See comment above.

InDesign worked fine until InDesign upgrade, and I have loved it for years. Now text disappears. Now I have to click forever on layers, links, etc., to get a response. The app is generally sluggish. If we were not forced to upgrade, we would not have these problems. I am unbelievably annoyed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your investigation going?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions and comments, as of yet this is still not resolved ☹
I’ve tried turning “GPU performance” OFF
And changing “User interface scaling" in Preferences to the smallest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX 11.5.1

MacBook Pro 13” M1 2020

Happens with both GPU enabled and disabled.

Resetting TextEdit preferences didn’t work.

Sample of the file doesn’t matter - it happens on all files, all across - either new or old.

Preference files: the link is a bit confusing - I have a lot of cache files in the InDesign caché folder, so I can't help with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a complete joke this is!!! Adobe are very happy to keep taking people's money every month but when it comes to fixing their glitchy software, you could not give a damn. This problem is massive. Its been around for long enough that the Adobe developers can figure it out and fix it. It is a HUGE problem and is causing your users no end of trouble. What kind of morons are running the show here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy does it there! What will you have to say if it turns out to be an Apple bug causing this?

Not saying it is, but we haven't eliminated that from the mix just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has already aknowledged in this thread that it is their issue. It's bizarre the amount of misinformation and just plain impossible theories "Adobe Community Professionals" are posting here. I have to assume that title has something to do with using the products, but having zero idea how they are acually programmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Id is the only app that's having this issue. Not just all apps, but other Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't give me that "easy does it" nonsense please. This is very clearly an Adobe issue, as they've previously acknowledged. It's completely unacceptable for them to continue taking money for software that is clearly not up to the task. They treat their customers with contempt so they should expect a fair amount of vitriol in return. They've had PLENTY of time to fix this very major problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact Adobe assigned two "correct answers" ia actually offensive, after months without solution and lack of feedback. What is the point of having community support if the support we get is this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue appeared to have been solved in 16.4 but in now back into 17 and 17.1

Please do the same fix you did for 16.4 on the 17 please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines