Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021
Hi All, We're currently investigating this issue. We'd appreciate if you could share the information listed below: 1. Version of the OS & InDesign. 2. Device Information. 3. Whether it happens with GPU Performance enabled/disabled or both. 4. Does resetting TextEdit preferences on macOS help? 4. A sample of the file. 5. Preferences files(You may find the location of these files here). This information would help us assist you accordingly. You can share the information with me over DM. Rega...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021
Hi All, Sorry to hear about your experience. We're still working on the fix however we have observed this workflow shared below has helped on some machines. Could you try these and share your observations: 1. Open FontBook, 2. Select all fonts 3. Right-click and select Validate fonts, 4. Delete the font that was marked as having Issues.  5. Restart InDesign.  Hope this is helpful! Regards, Ashutosh

Translate

Translate
replies 311 Replies 311
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big update today. 17.0.

wonder if they listened.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With hope I upgraded to Mac OS 12.0.1 and InDesign 17.0. Amazingly, the text issue is bad, worse than yesterday. How can this be going on for over 12 months without a solution? InDesign is cripled by the M1. I assume it is the M1 because my 2014 iMac with the same 8 GB of RAM performed far better with InDesign.

• Macbook Pro M1 2020
  • Mac OS 12.0.1
  • InDesign 17.0

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue with text disapearing while typing or after. Only shows up again if I move the document with the hand tool. New Mac Mini. All updated Adobe programs (InDesign 16.4)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feedback: One thing I have noticed is this only seems to happen in "High Quality Display" setting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, it's happening still in "Typical Display" setting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that seems to be the trend. Just when you think you've changed something to keep the text from disappearing, it starts disappearing all over again!

Ronale Tucker Rhodes
Editor-in-Chief
IG Living magazine
BioSupply Trends Quarterly magazine
(951) 296-2500 x1362
(800) 843-7477 x1362
www.IGLiving.com
www.BSTQuarterly.com

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Imac 2021 M1 and Indesign 16.4.
It seems like a visual glitch, that the text in Indesig is simply disappearing. It comes back by scrolling in and out – but this kills every workflow. The problem is so grave, that I had to abandon work and use my old macbook – please help @adobe

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off GPU in the preferences

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem: when I work in a text box on an Adobe InDesign layout – rewriting text or cutting or pasting – the text keeps ‘disappearing’; I have to zoom in or out to make the text visible again.

I have a MacBook Air (M1 2020), it runs on Big Sur Version 11.5.2, and I work in Adobe InDesign 16.4. The laptop has only the integrated graphics processor.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue that still needs a solve. Until recently, InDesign did not even run natively on an M1 Mac. As with any new versions (especially ones that require writing new code that will satisfy a number of different processors and computer chips) it will still need some time to make everything work right.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running the new MacBook Pro 14" since yesterday evening and have not had a single incident of the text disappearing.

Yet.

It's running the new MacOS (Monterey) 16GB RAM and InDesign v17, which was also released yesterday. I'm also running a 4k display, in addition to the native 14" screen.

I'll update here to let everyone know if the text issue returns as the day wears on.

I know this doesn't help anyone who didn't get a shiny new laptop yesterday, but it's interesting to note that the disappearing text hasn't been an issue after several hours of working.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, day 2 of using InDesign 17.0 with the new MBP 14" (M1 Pro chip) and still not a single issue with disappearing type, or anything, really. 

Very heavy workflow all day. Two screens, Premiere Pro, InDeisgn, Safari, Illustrator (and several more) all open at the same time.

Starting to wonder if this is exclusively an M1 first gen issue...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd need people to pipe in that have the same issue while not using an M1 Mac.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me. 

Modelnaam: Apple T2 Security-chip

Firmwareversie: 19P549

I checked the fontbook but now its even worse.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Def not an Adobe issue

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Adobe issue in that no other app has this problem, including Photoshop and Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agreed.

Kind regards,
Adam Arkinstall Creative Designer

[PII removed by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this is an adobe issue, it’s their software. The monthly subscription fees are exorbitant so it needs to be right. Making excuses for Adobe isn’t helpful to be honest.

Kind regards,
Adam Arkinstall Creative Designer

[PII removed by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening with CC2022 v17. Monterey 12.0.1. Mac mini M1. Just last evening. Multiple times.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me. We should male this a drinking game. @adobe

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll all need new livers by next Tuesday...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be trashed within an hour of getting to work!  LOL

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Id is the buggiest app I use. I’d have cirrhosis by now if we did.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We're still working on the fix however we have observed this workflow shared below has helped on some machines. Could you try these and share your observations:

1. Open FontBook,

2. Select all fonts

3. Right-click and select Validate fonts,

4. Delete the font that was marked as having Issues. 

5. Restart InDesign. 
Hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines