• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running the new MacBook Pro 14" since yesterday evening and have not had a single incident of the text disappearing.

Yet.

It's running the new MacOS (Monterey) 16GB RAM and InDesign v17, which was also released yesterday. I'm also running a 4k display, in addition to the native 14" screen.

I'll update here to let everyone know if the text issue returns as the day wears on.

I know this doesn't help anyone who didn't get a shiny new laptop yesterday, but it's interesting to note that the disappearing text hasn't been an issue after several hours of working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, day 2 of using InDesign 17.0 with the new MBP 14" (M1 Pro chip) and still not a single issue with disappearing type, or anything, really. 

Very heavy workflow all day. Two screens, Premiere Pro, InDeisgn, Safari, Illustrator (and several more) all open at the same time.

Starting to wonder if this is exclusively an M1 first gen issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd need people to pipe in that have the same issue while not using an M1 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me. 

Modelnaam: Apple T2 Security-chip

Firmwareversie: 19P549

I checked the fontbook but now its even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Def not an Adobe issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Adobe issue in that no other app has this problem, including Photoshop and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agreed.

Kind regards,
Adam Arkinstall Creative Designer

[PII removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this is an adobe issue, it’s their software. The monthly subscription fees are exorbitant so it needs to be right. Making excuses for Adobe isn’t helpful to be honest.

Kind regards,
Adam Arkinstall Creative Designer

[PII removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening with CC2022 v17. Monterey 12.0.1. Mac mini M1. Just last evening. Multiple times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me. We should male this a drinking game. @adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll all need new livers by next Tuesday...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be trashed within an hour of getting to work!  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Id is the buggiest app I use. I’d have cirrhosis by now if we did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We're still working on the fix however we have observed this workflow shared below has helped on some machines. Could you try these and share your observations:

1. Open FontBook,

2. Select all fonts

3. Right-click and select Validate fonts,

4. Delete the font that was marked as having Issues. 

5. Restart InDesign. 
Hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All fonts validated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mishra,

Thank you for the attention. I followed your instructions.

From the 935 fonts. I had 18 Issued ones that I deleted.

I restarted Indesign an I recognised a small difference in the font approach from Indesign.

I looks like that the text doesn't dissappeare so quickly as before, so I think there is connection in your theory.

But the problem in still there. So I don't think it is the solution. Maybe it's in the amount of fonts?

So please keep up the good work an give us the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh, none of the above worked has for me. The fonts are all validated. I've had this problem for months, zooming in and out everytime I edit text in InDesign. It is not acceptable. I cannot work out what else to do. I'm at my wits end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that has worked for me is quitting every other program while I'm working in InDesign. It's not a solution by any means but it's a workaround until you have to open Photoshop or check your mail. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised you were able to come to the forum.

I heard a $4800 Macbook Pro M1 MAX also fixes the issue. 

Dear Adobe, 

This issue still persists, although a solution is marked on the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a "solution". Some of the projects I work on need types which have small issues... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work at all. Sooooooo… 
I'm moving to Affinity Publisher. Adobe's empire is crumbling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Publisher? I will check it out. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this manipulation, the problem is ALWAYS present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,

I have validated all my fonts. No font problems found but the disappearing type problem persists. This issue only started after upgrading to version 17.0 of Indesign. Nothing else on my system changed. The previous version was fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another problem besides disappearing text. When i select say import or make pdf with my mouse it doesnt work. After restart of Indesign it works. Sometimes even save is not responding. Anyone else having this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines