• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Engaged ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's happening on non-M1 Macs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modelnaam: Apple T2 Security-chip

Firmwareversie: 19P549

Opstart-UUID: 595AAF7A-041C-4FDF-8B23-F2443949015D

I have an 27inch imac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately… I thought I was the only one who already experienced the problem on a 2015 iMac and 2016 MacBook Pro before I got the M1 Mac Mini but good (or sad…) to see others confirm they experienced this on Intel Macs as well so Adobe can't just blame Apple or the M1 chips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a real pain. Whatever i do, nothing works. Not the fontsbook or gpu trick. It really gets worse everyday. I really loose hours and hours. Adobe you should credit us for this months fee. Every new version of Indesign works slower then the last one. I cant stand this beachball anymore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way it won't happen for me is if I quit every other program and just keep InDesign open.  Try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anders raises a great point. The answers from Adobe here are purposely deceptive, pretending it might be some hidden preference in another app causing the problem instead of just aknowledging that it's their issue and they have no fix yet. If no fix is possible we really have a right to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ashutosh_Mishra Could I please speak with your supervisor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here's what I have tried and so far so good:

I reinstalled Indesign v16.4 (previous version) and opened up an old document. No disappearing type, yay! So, then I opened up a document that was giving me problems in v17.0.1 and the problem has stopped there also. Can anyone else try that and see if it works for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should we go backwards, we have paid to move forward so fix the problem with the latest.

Still infuriating - come on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was never in the older version. It started after the updates. Cc2021 has it. And with me its getting worse. I make a lot of ebooks and never had this problem there. Now its there as well. Yesterday i spent four hours to correct typo's in a 128 page book. Normally it would be 20 minutes. Adobe should at least know where the problem is.  But glad for you its solved in your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This in insane error. It's a crazy expensive product, and simply does not work. When does the fix comes? How can I apply for a refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are all curious about that. It is not really cheap huh and this problem is sooo annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very strange but i replaced my keyboard with a non apple one. And sofar so good. Could this be related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd indeed. It's plausible considering Adobe software development quality lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ashutosh_Mishra 

I will be quite frank: It is actually qute amazing and scary that this problem has not been fixed for half a year. What do you think we are paying for? Adobe Indesign basically does not work. Where can I refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to an email announcing the latest pre-release of 17.0.2 with no mention of this issue. My comment asking if anything was going to be done about the disappearing text was picked up by an Adobe developer and questions were asked almost as though it was a passing curio. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The outsourcing of development offshore comes with consequences, accoutablity is one step removed and coridor conversations betweem product managers and marketing people who hear the backlash is not had with the actual developers of these products. Adobe has always funded their new poroduct lines with it's DTP line of products and simply is taking the piss at this point. InDesign was more stable fifteen years ago and also had feature parity with todays version except for a few cloud platform integrating PDF commenting and so on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure they are not even trying to fix this, as this version is a
"temporary" adaptation for M1 chips. They might be working on the new
version and not bothering solving the problem on this bugged one. What
really frustrates me is that they are taking almost one year to make a
proper compatible version to M1, and the subscription plan was supposed to
cover these updates way faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and i have a Apple T2 Security-chip with the same problems. Its not just M1 chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

Are you guys coming up with a fix for this problem? It is really affecting our work.

I am on an M1 Mac Mini and it happens all the time wether the GPU performance is enabled or disabled.

Please fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Big Sur macOS v11.6.1 on an M1 mac Mini with 8 GB RAM. Constant problem. My workaround is I have shortcuts for View> Normal and View> Preivew and I just flick between them when the text disaapears. Seeing a bunch of other bugs like Text Wrap crashing InDesign on my M1 mini so I have to avoid using it completely because I enver know when it will come back and impact places I've applied Text Wrapping. Not so much an issue for production but slows my deisgn phase down  A L O T. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommended RAM is 16GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what about all the people who have less than that on standard 8gb M1 chips? or on older machines? Indesign has historically always worked on less ram than 16gb without issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but historical system requirements and reccomendations are totally irrelevant. I've been using InDesign since 1999. The requirements change and for the life of me, I can't understand spending all that money for an underpowered machine.

8GB is about enough to run an operating system. Anyone doing professional design work should understand that. I just built a new desktop machine with 64GB. My laptop has 16GB.

Eight is NOT enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly i find your reply rude and secondly offensive. I have been using Adobe software for 14 years and before that i used quark. I am aware of the hardware requirements required to do my job. In all my time as a designer i have never had a Mac with more than 12 gb ram bought for me or my team by my employer due to cost. From a personal point of view i imagine there are a lot of freelance designers on this forum who also don't have the money to buy the hardware you're saying is required. Adobe indesign has never had issues in the past and it shouldn't need huge amounts of ram in order to type some text into a box without it disappearing. The idea that you need at least 16gb of ram to write some words is laughable and putting it simply, it doesn't need excuses it just needs fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines