• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, if I wanted to be rude, you'd be well aware of it. Have a lovely day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you're completely out to lunch. Besides giving useless opinions that contradict Adobe's own specs, you're living in the past where 64 GB of ram is something to be impressed by. A new M1 with 8gb of unified memory is capable of seamlessly editing and rendering 4k video, so of course that's sufficient to run a page layout program. Just as it's sufficient to run Photoshop, Illustrator, and literally every other creative tool other than inDesign. So go tell your outdated fantasies of what a creative machine is is elsewhere, they are beyond useless here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that excellent contribution. I'm sure it will help countless other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely more than any of the useless living 10 years in the past opinions you've been spouting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet here you are with the problems and here I am working without issues. The system requirements / recommendations are clear. 16GB of RAM. There’s no asterisk for M1 machines. 

InDesign system requirements (adobe.com)

Now, I'm more than willing to be proven incorrect here. As I've said in several other posts, this is inexusable at this point, but it's what it is. There's is zero way at this point to know where the biggest issues are with a new platform, a new operating system and a new version of InDesign. But if you think your 8GB of RAM in that Mac are enough, well, who am I to argue?

Oh, and I’ve been around for a lot longer than 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this thread!!! Let's not try to eat each other though. 

The software should work on an M1 Mac, agreed the specs do say 16gb RAM minimum. So I guess Adobe gets a free pass.

TBH i could do without all the bloat they have added that is completley useless in the recent updates. Mostly all the crap cloudware they have added that doesnt work.

Thank goodness Figma exists, and I hardly do print work anymore. 

Affinity Publisher works great on 8gb M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then at the very least it should work fine on my 16gb M1 Mac mini without the disappearing text feature. 

OR, maybe Adobe should open up the hood on FCP and see how Apple makes something like that work flawlessly on an 8gig M1 machine.

i.e. t'ain't no excuses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please it is not in the number of RAM but the amount of GPU's!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why so hostile to bob? He is trying to help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called "shooting the messenger." Honestly, I'm not losing sleep over it, but thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob  do you as a adobe community professional think this is acceptable for all of us? At least they should communicate with us. Send an apology. Give us an idea when this is going to be solved. Its bloody frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not find it acceptable at all. I have had my own beefs with the way things have gone the last few years, too, on the Windows side of things.

The problem is that release schedules are set by ivory tower types in the marketing department, not engineers. The latest issues are complicated by Apple dumping a whole new platform and operating system on the world with little to no notice to developers. At this point, however, I have to agree that the major issues should be worked out by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more. I've been outspoken about this in previous posts. We not only deserve an apology, we deserve a fully functioning InDesign app without this problem. It's unbelievable to me that Adobe has been so unresponsive to the posts about this issue. It's terribly frustrating and I find myself putting off design projects because I just find it hard dealing with this problem. We need answers from Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minor Correction:

Minimum 4 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended)

A blank document with only text box should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny. Nicely done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not a RAM issue. I'm using InDesign on a 64GB M1 Max and the textbox content is still disappearing. I have no problem at all using the latest verison of InDesign on a 2014 Intel iMac with 8GB...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No fn way!!!

crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ashutosh_Mishra i beleive i speak to everyone on this forum when i say we want to speak to someone senior about this issue. The problem is getting worse, your solutions don't work and from a personal point of view we're a paying business customer with multiple accounts all of which are having problems. It is unacceptable that everyone on this forum has had radio silence for weeks now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree. Come on Adobe give us some answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All anyone from Adobe is going to say is that they are aware of the problem and are actively working to fix it.

We already know Adobe is aware of the issue, with all the forum posts. Plus, they can't post any timeline as to its fix as that could open them up to legal problems if they miss a publicly posted deadline. A release could come tomorrow, next week, or (hopefully not) next month. 

I do not think Adobe is happy about these problems either.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blaming it on fonts was their "solution" on here. I dont think they really care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the link where Adobe said the solution was a font problem? I'd like to review it. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in this thread, posted by Ashutosh_Mishra on October 27. FYI, it doesn't work, and this problem seems to have been ignored by the Adobe team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Support, I have the same issue here:

MacBook Pro 13" M1, 8GB RAM

macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)

InDesign 17.0.1

The issue happens with and without GPU acceleration. However I only noticed this error while I'm navigating with the text cursor using the arrow keys or cmd+arrow keys and while selecting text using the mouse. Rarely while typing. When I start typing again, the text re-appears, but then vanishes again without me touching an arrow key.

After using InDesign for a while it crashed completely. After this crash the error happened only two or three times before it  "magically" disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Adobe website:

Minimum 4 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines