• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

I think I might've found a solution. I deactivated all the fonts on Adobe. Initial running of Indesign looks promising, with the issue not occuring for some time now. Would love to hear if indeed this does help the problem. 

Cheers,

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround, not a solution. I'm over it. Been using Affinity Publisher.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you, long-term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Deactivate all the fonts." And then reactivated them? Or you're going to use Helvetica and Brush Script for everything now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comic Sans works perfectly 🤩 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate the "active fonts" from Adobe's creative cloud font manager. Instead, I'm relying on the OS font book, manually adding fonts I need there. Not sure how Adobe's font system ties in, but by keeping it off, the issue doesn't occur anymore.

It's been 2 days now, working on projects for a total of 16 hours and the issue hasn't shown itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen of the creative cloud fonts tab where I deactivated the active fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is sense in there somewhere. Good one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is you cant download any Adobe fonts and add them to FontBook. 

so now we are supposed to not use any adobe fonts 😂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, that is an unfortunate consequence 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workaround is similar to mine. I have stopped using Suitcase for font management and instead simply use a "Document fonts" folder in the same folder as my ID file. Seems to work much better than having the fonts activated. A new problem for me is that my CC App can't turn on and off Adobe fonts. They appear on when checked on the web, but the app keeps spinning "Loading Adobe fonts..". These two issues are certainly related as Adobe fonts appear to be the problem with ID on the new Apple M1 systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Suitcase to manage my fonts so Fontbook is irrelaveant to me. I have a new M1 iMac and it's only been happening since  I got it in October. Running Big Sur and the latest update of InDesign. It's happeing almost all the time for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this infuriating problem as well. M1 MacBook Pro, 16 GB RAM, MacOS 12.1, ID 17.0.1. It happens with botht the built in display and an external monitor. Scanned fonts using FontBook; none were corrupted, but the problem persisted. Changing display perfomance settings and GPU usage in InDesign had no effect. 

I just used OnyX (free utility) to delete the system font caches. This required a restart. I have been using ID for several hours now with no disappearing text. I'm hoping this is a long term fix. I will let you know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After endless search for a solution, I found that turning off the GPU performance in Indesign 2022 does the trick for now. I am on Monterey. 

Hope this helps you and my fellow designers who are being turtured by this like myself.

Adobe, please get your act together. What happened to Quark and page maker can happen to Indesign which I would hate to happen. It also time for a better collobarative and file sharing plaform for Indesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that and still not a fix for me. Running InDesign 17.0.1 on a Mac M1 running OS 12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to turning off  GPU performance on my imac with Montery. I also opened the FontBook and did what was suggested above by adobe. See below for the steps. Additionaly, I updated my indesign to the latest version and restarted the computer just in case. I dont see that problem any more on both of my imac with Montery and work macpro Big Sur. Hope this helps until Adobe provides a permanent solutions 

1. Open FontBook, 2. Select all fonts 3. Right-click and select Validate fonts, 4. Delete the font that was marked as having Issues.  5. Restart InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this and it's the best bandaid so far but ti's still happening. Just not as often. C'mon Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tina, I forgot to mention that I did the FontBook fix, as well. As I mentioned, I think the dissapearing text is happening less, but, it's hard to say. I am in InDesign almost all day, every day, and I get very into my work, so I don't keep count, or track of all the times it happens, needless to say, that's because it happens a lot. I am going to guess...something 2-3 times every hour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this exact same issue and have worked with Adobe Support in sharing the issue via screen capture, one-on-one support, etc., and was told we (Adobe) are still working on the issue (~3-months ago), to this date and latest version… still no fix. Incredibly annoying issue and almost rendering InDesign useless. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an email last week about a pre-release that fixes this and a handful of other amateur mistakes they've fixed. 

We'll see. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, it's driving me CRAZY. ARRGGHH!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Chip: Apple M1

Montery OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow up, I did turn off the GPU, and am still experiencing the disappearing text, although it's possible that it is less often. I can't tell because I get so lost in my work, right? I'm working working working...not thinking about technology at all...and then my text disappears! Yuckity yuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on emails from Adobe last week or so I think the fix will be out next week or the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having also this problem. Very frustrating and bogs down my work.

Running:

• InDesign 17.0.1
  • Monterey 12.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides disappearing text i also experience that Indesign does not respond to commands, like make pdf, or open file. I have to restart Indesign to get them to work again. Anyone else having this problem? The disappearing text gets worse by the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines