Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Frame Auto-Size in story mode not working

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Indesign Development Team,

Please fix the Auto-Size Text Frame feature in InDesign. When running a story through multiple text frames the Auto-Size feature does not work. The feature should recognize the Frame Break or Column Break symbol as the end of the text in a fram and Auto-Size the frame accordingly. Please! I am tired of hacking my way through features to get the result I want while I feel it should be real simple.

Comment and like if you agree.

The lack of this feature is messing with my ability to have a numbered list across multiple linked frames and have the frames auto-sized. I was unsuccesful in getting my numbered list to continue the sequence across unlinked frames. I broke the links of the frames using a script and created a custom "List" other than "Default" to see if it would continue the number sequence but had no succes. Only the option "Restart Numbering" shows in the paragraph options when "Continue Numbering" is what I need. If anyone would like to comment on a solution to this, please do so.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

The correct place for a feature request is here

Report bugs or make a feature request
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to disagree. You cannot have both auto-frame size at work on linked-threaded textframes.

Numbered lists might beneficially have 2 paragraph styles. 1 for Continue and 1 for Restart Numbering. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get your logic but you have the right to your opinion. I don't see why we should not be able to have both. Not sure how 2 styles would solve this but I need to test out your workaround. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get what Mike is saying--usually, if you are flowing text from page to page, it's within the column margins, so the text frame would not need to enlarge. I could also see a problem if the column/page break is not soon enough for the text frame to resize within the page size. 

@Ibo Vis Can you give more info as to the logic you want InDesign to use--such as when to expand the text frame vs. when to flow to next page? I don't think it can be by page break alone.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike is correct about your numbered lists--you usually need two styles. You use the restart style (n=1) whenever you want the numbering to start over; otherwise, use the continue numbering. 

You created a separate list name, which is good. Don't depend on the default to do everything. Be sure to set the list name preferences too:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct place for a feature request is here

Report bugs or make a feature request
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you don't need two numbering styles to manage a numbered list. You can use another paragraph that consistently appears between lists to restart the lists automatically. 

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-restart-numbered-lists-automatically/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would rephrase that to "you don't always need two paragraph styles...". It would depend on the pattern of style application. Otherwise, excellent suggestion (and reminder 😁). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines