• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text frame with uneven column width

New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a document and would love to be able to create uneven column widths when I split the columns with in a single text frame. I am sure there are some work arounds to accomplish this with guides etc. but the simple solution here would be to allow the user to define the columns by using the "Text Frame Options" selection. There are options for "Fixed Number" "Fixed Width" and "Flexible Width". Add an option to create uneven columns and have the user define the width for each.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Hi deanj6,

you could do this with an object that has text wrap applied.

Can you make up a layout you want to do with threaded text frames and show a screenshot of the design.

Best do this with a facing pages spread if you want to do it with a facing pages document.

Below a suggestion where the object for text wrap is on a master page.

Set up of text frames. Note that the text frames are leaving the outer page edges. Master A is applied. Two rectangles are on master A. Text wrap is not yet ap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you already know that InDesign does not allow you to define unequal column widths within a single text frame. You can accomplish this with threaded frames.

I also think you are making a suggestion for a future version – which I fully support – but this is a user-to-user form. Please log a feature request here:https://indesign.uservoice.com/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dean:

Let me clarify my earlier answer: It sounds like you already know that InDesign does not allow you to define unequal column widths within a single text frame without scripting. See the snippet from the InDesign help, below:

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 3.54.37 PM.png

Hopefully, Michel will share the script he's showing you, but I don't see that he has posted a link for you, so I don't know. 🤷🏼

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Too funny! …

"You already know that InDesign does not allow you to define unequal column widths within a single text frame." …

So, how can I do this? in InDesign of course … and Just For Fun!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it's possible as you have know or found a way to do it, and have shown us a glimpse.

Well, I am left wondering if that's a script you will talk Adobe about, sell it somewhere, or keep just for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this script available for download anywhere? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi deanj6,

you could do this with an object that has text wrap applied.

Can you make up a layout you want to do with threaded text frames and show a screenshot of the design.

Best do this with a facing pages spread if you want to do it with a facing pages document.

Below a suggestion where the object for text wrap is on a master page.

Set up of text frames. Note that the text frames are leaving the outer page edges. Master A is applied. Two rectangles are on master A. Text wrap is not yet applied to the rectangles:

EvenColumnWidth.PNG

Now text wrap is applied to the rectangles on master A:

UnevenColumnWidth-TextWrapObjects-on-Master.PNG

The effect on pages 2 to 3 in the document is this:

UnevenColumnWidth-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, creative thinking Uwe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clever work-around, Uwe.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am always doubtful [puzzled, amused, not amused at all …] when I read such comments [for some amazed], above!

What Uwe Laubender indicates is obviously eminently interesting [and totally relevant] and deserves to be of course suggested to the person who asked the question!

I just want to indicate that is neither new nor notably innovative [Uwe already commented on this "wrapping" approach in 2016! (I have not verified – and have not been interested to verify here – if he was the first one to mention it)] and the simple indication of the link indicated in red color in the screenshot below could have been enough.

Capture d’écran 2020-05-02 à 22.04.10.png

… Because it's true, when I am interested by a thread posted on a forum, especially this one, it seems obvious to me, as a regular user, that "taking a look" at similar subjects indicated by its developpers in a so relevant and so clear way is the simplest thing I need to do first! …

Just like, when I write a script, my approach is to research before anything else if someone has not already, publicly, studied the subject and proposed / discussed / resolved some ideas / difficulties that I could meet myself …

About the video posted earlier, what I showed there can be perfectly done in InDesign, manually and absolutely without script! As far as I'm concerned, this script simply allows me ... a few shortcuts, a privilege for lazy guys like me!!

I forgot: [… without script!] Without wrapping … With just a single text frame!

Have a good day!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, Michel, Michel... you pesky old Jedi! 😉

Be a good friend friend and share the scripts (left, right variants) already to all...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel! How about putting your script up for sale on your website?

Would love to have it and also recommend it to my clients.

You've done what Adobe hasn't.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if you're hesitating to share your script, maybe you can share the steps for us non-lazy people so we can use this "feature" for ourselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text wrap work around in this thread is a great solution. I've just come up with another one that might be useful, depending on what your working on. I wanted two columns, one twice the size as the other, so I created a 3 column text frame and spanned the text in the first colum across two columns. Hope this helps someone! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good solution Michaela. It can't be hard for Adobe to include this feature can it, surely? Another suggestion is to use a table, then you can adjust the column widths to whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be hard for Adobe to include this feature can it, surely?

Be sure to log feature requests here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines