Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text frames: Adding new line disappears

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. 

In a text frame, when I attempt to add a new line where much space still exists in the frame, hitting "Enter" doesn't simply go to the next line and enter the text. It disappears and bumps to an overflow frame, as if it is too much for the current frame, which it definitely is not. 

Any help will be much appreciated. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Be aware that by default, the numpad Enter key breaks text to the next column or frame. (I really hate that behavior, and you can remap it if you agree.)

If you're using the regular Enter key —

Check the Keep Options for the paragraph style. Unless you want some control of how the paragraphs stay with ones before or after, or how many lines are retained before and after a break, it should look like this:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1710644984570.png

Also check spacing above and below to make sure excessive values aren't pushing the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

@Robert at ID-Tasker  Sure thing. I saw this morning that this is to be done. I had asked another question of James, so was waiting to do it. Thanks for the heads up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that by default, the numpad Enter key breaks text to the next column or frame. (I really hate that behavior, and you can remap it if you agree.)

If you're using the regular Enter key —

Check the Keep Options for the paragraph style. Unless you want some control of how the paragraphs stay with ones before or after, or how many lines are retained before and after a break, it should look like this:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1710644984570.png

Also check spacing above and below to make sure excessive values aren't pushing the new paragraph down.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@James Gifford—NitroPress  OMG. It appears to be as simple as that. As I test it now by using both the numpad Enter key or the main keyboard one, it works fine with the regular one and not with numpad. You are brilliant!!

Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help. In this case, "brilliant" means "listened when others here brought up the point."

You can remap it to regular function in Edit | Keyboard Shortcuts if you don't find it useful and don't want to get bitten again. 🙂

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as a really new user, I can't seem to get the right re-assignment of the Num Enter key. I've created a new set but just can't find that selection to make this work. Under "Product Area", I'm assuming I should choose "Text and Tables". This could be my first mistake. Then, under "Commands:",  I'm unsure of the choice to make.

Any thoughts? By the way, I'm on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Darrell M 

As you are new here - I've marked James' reply as "correct".

Next time, if you feel that someone helped you - please do it yourself.

RobertTkaczyk_0-1710771611117.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Robert at ID-Tasker  Sure thing. I saw this morning that this is to be done. I had asked another question of James, so was waiting to do it. Thanks for the heads up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines