• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text jumping to the bottom of the box instead of staying at the top

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, having a bit of trouble with my InDesign at the moment and was wondering if anyone can help. I have reached out to adobe support and all they say my text is too big for the box and I have no issue. 

I have had all my templates set up for over a year now and never had an issue until my text started moving to the bottom of the box this week. I used to be able to just go in to the template and add the information I need over top of whats there and there is no issue with movement. 

My adobe account is the only one having an issue as other team members are able to open the templates and make changes in their accounts without this happening (both on windows and macs). This issue is happening on both my mac and my macbook pro so I am confident its my account. 

Adobe also suggested I create all my templates from scratch but I don't see how this will help my issue when its only my account thats doing it, all other users of these templates are fine. Its also not a feasable option as I have hundreds of templates.

I have attached a video to show whats happening. All the text should be able to stay the same as what is originally shown, but every time I go to backspace, enter or change the text (virtually do anything) it drops to the bottom of the box and oversets the text. 

Even if I create a new document and copy and paste the contents of the templates into another document it still does the same thing. Can anyone shed any light on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Hi @MeghanJMc ,

this is a typical issue ( for InDesign ) with the first baseline text is using in a text frame when at some point before the font was substituted with another font of the same name. Often this happens with Google font files substituted with Adobe Fonts fonts activated. See:

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes
Laubender, Jul 27, 2021

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problems-with-baseline-shift-when-editing-text-boxes/m-p/12210525/page/2#M438887

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also changing the font size doesn't help as it continues to jump/bounce down to the bottom of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe account has no relation with the software itself, so I don't think your account has anything to do with the trouble.

Do the other team members and you use the same fonts? Not only the name, but the font version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on this I think it could be a font issue. However, when looking at a colleagues they appear to be the same. Both fonts were downloaded from the same file given to us in our brand standards. 

I did go to adobe and download that font and it comes up as "Source Sans Pro" when downloading it, however in inDesign it comes up as "Source Sans Variable" which when switching the font to this, fixes the text jumping issue. However, it creates another one as the font is almost idential but there is some variation. So still a problem as we have a strict brand standards this doesn't fit with. 

Top photo is my font version. Bottom photo is my colleagues font version. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 10.31.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.43.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried resetting the prefs? See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeghanJMc , can you share the template? You should be able to attach it to a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only upload photo and video files unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeghanJMc ,

this is a typical issue ( for InDesign ) with the first baseline text is using in a text frame when at some point before the font was substituted with another font of the same name. Often this happens with Google font files substituted with Adobe Fonts fonts activated. See:

Problems with baseline shift when editing text boxes
Laubender, Jul 27, 2021

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/problems-with-baseline-shift-when-editing-text-b...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turns out this was the issue, however it was not between google fonts and adobe but our brand font sent to us within out brand standards and the adobe suite. What fixed the issue was disabling the adobe version on the creative cloud. I also un-installed the brand fonts from my device and re dowloaded it. Which is the only way I have been able to fix it. Thank you for your direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines