• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text position slightly shifts on multiple pages

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document where I have a set number of text boxes aligned. I have made them exactly the same thing in both master page and manually. In either case, when I scroll thru the pages the text appears slightly shifted which is immeasurably distracting when flipping thru the document. I have created a new document to demonstrate my issue. I have searched the forum for three days so far with zero progress. Please help. I have attached a simple document showing the shift when going back and forth from page to page in Presentation mode. Help would be appreciated. 

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it shift when you export to epub or share for review or publish online or a PDF in Acrobat?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is much less and almost unnoticeable however still present. But in Presentation Mode, it is glaringly obvious. Thanks for the extra troubleshooting step. Do you have any insights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several factors can affect the position of text in a text frame. The most crtitical is where is the first baseline? Every line of text below is affected by that. The fonts, leading, text frame oftions, and point size of the text can all affect where that first baseline is, even for text frames in the same position. Check that the text has consistent formatting, including size, font, and leading. Check that the text frame has the same first baseline offset (visible in the Text Frame Options window).

Another feature you might want to explore is locking the text to a baseline grid. This will make sure the text always sits where you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, thanks for the insight. I have tried this but it still is present. Have you opened the file to see if it shows up on your setup? It is two pages with a sample of what I mean. This even occurs when I  use a Master Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue is the buttons (the only text frames I see) then I suggest you use different options to position the text. When I want text centred in a frame I usually use no insets, no baseline shift, and set the first baseline offset to cap height. InDesign will center the text based on the cap height and the baseline. That is, the space between the baseline and the bottom of the frame will be the same as the space between the top of a flat capital letter (like an E) and the top of the text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any shift here except when zoomed to fit spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, 

You don't see any shift in Presentation Mode? Is it because I am using an Indesign 2022 on my 2018 Macbook Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a way to change pages in presentaion mode...

I'm on a Win10 laptop and it goes to full screen with no controls and the keyboard commands which work in preview mode don't work in presentation mode for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, it is under >View >Screen Mode >Presentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Going into Presentation mode is not the problem. Once in Presentation mode I cannot change pages without leaving presentation mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines