• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text variables removing kerning and squishing text

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created some text variables so that one variable can be changed once and it's addition throughout a document will update automatically. The issue is that it only works if the text variable is the last part of a sentence. If it's used in the middle of a sentence, it removes all kerning and the copy is squished.

Other than creating individual text boxes ( which is not a viable solution ) what else can be done to fix this?

text variable squishes texttext variable squishes text

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Text variables can't break across lines. InDesign willl squish them if they don't have enough room. See if you can get "my" to go the the next line, or re-write the text that proceeds it to give it more room. 

Allowing variables to wrap has been a feature request for a long time. Please vote for it here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31023790-make-text-variables-live-captions-breakable-like-n.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of this happening. Can you show examples of the text in different positions? Please have hidden characters and frame edges showing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text variables can't break across lines. InDesign willl squish them if they don't have enough room. See if you can get "my" to go the the next line, or re-write the text that proceeds it to give it more room. 

Allowing variables to wrap has been a feature request for a long time. Please vote for it here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/31023790-ma....

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing is believing in the attachment I have attached above in my post.

Here it is again.

You can see the text variable at the end of the sentence not squished.Text variable not squished at end of sentence.Text variable not squished at end of sentence.Yet, the same text variable added in the middle of a sentence, results in squished text.Text variable squishing text in middle of sentence.Text variable squishing text in middle of sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I tried to massage the sentence a bit and it's not possible and given the breadth of the content and pages, having to do this every time is a time sink, thanks Adobe... 

I did vote and thank you for sharing that link, it's sickening to see that this has been a requested feature for years now and yet nothing... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb. Why? It should. Not allowing something so simple force designer to use always the same design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @EALS : 

In your screenshot, it looks like you can just make the frame wider and you would be OK. Perhaps that's not an option, but it appears that you have enough space, for that one anyway. 

As for why text variables can't break across pages? I have no idea. I'm a user like you. And I'm frustrated about it as well.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I can't make it wider. It won't fit on my layout. Thanks for the link above. I voted for this feature. 

And sorry for that. I took you for an Adobe staff or something.

My best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a something. 😉 Adobe Community Professionals are users who work in the field, are vetted by Adobe and volunteer time to help other users. You will see our titles and tiny badge by our avatars.

Thanks for voting,

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, and I totally agree. It's always important to vote up a feature request because that's what gets the attention of the Adobe engineers.

Thanks for voting—this a feature I'd also like to see added, sooner rather than later. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines