• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Within Table Disappearing

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a table within Indesign, and the frame has ample space to fit the text. However, when i go to centre my table on the page, the bottom portion of the table disappears and displays as overset. When i slightly move the table it comes back, but the minute i try to re-centre, the issue comes back. I have tried setting all the text as body copy - no luck. In addition, when I place the table on different pages - it works no problem. Even if i reset the page, delete and re-create, issue persists. Any ideas? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Hi Barb, I just realized when i move a graphic on the spread the table is on (the left page) table is on the right page, it impacts what displays not only in the table, but also in the text box on the left page. I determined the text wrapping on the image was causing the issue! thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try the suggestions shared in this discussion and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There! I tried the "recompose stories command" with no luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not enough. space? Check no break property, enough height or width?

cmd/ctrl+y to overset text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, what is a "no break property" - sorry I am a new user! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a property in the Character and Paragraph styles in the Basic Characte Formats.

If this active no automatic lene return is possible. All text is written in one line. But if the line is longer than the available width all text is suppressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HPROLP:

what is a "no break property"

In Table > Cell Options > Rows & Columns you can enable "keep" options—these are used to tell two rows that if one won't fit, they both must move to the next page together, for example. Might be this, might be something else entirely. 

Can you please share two screenshots of your page: one before, and one after. Before you take the screenshots and post them here using the Insert Photos button on the toolbar above your reply, please show hidden characters from the bottom of the Type menu and show frame edges (View > Extras > Show Frame Edges). And please include the entire page in each screen shot. This gives us our best chance of figuring it out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, see screen shots! The keep options didnt seem to make a change before.pngafter.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HPROLP :

Sorry, I had to step away for a bit. Great screen shots—thank you!

Here is the bottom of the second screen shot:

2024-01-09_17-14-21.png

The red + in the box labeled 1 indicates the text is overset. What happens if you double click the bottom middle handle with the Selection tool in the box labled 2? Does the rest of the table reappear?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesn't work—and I've now had time to compare the two screen shots to confirm that you are not inadvertently resizing the frame instead of moving it (a common mistake)—a second thought is you have a frame (either on that page or the master page behind it) with text wrap enabled. If you can't find it, you are welcome to share the file with me and I'll take a look. You can put it on dropbox or similar and share a link here (public) or click my avatar above this reply and message me privately. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, thanks for all your advice. I tried double clicking on the frame (indicated in your screen shot as #2), and it didnt make a difference. Interestingly, I went to clean up the document to send to you (i deleted all the other pages (24 others)), and on deleting them, the table shows up perfectly fine. If i play around, and delete say all the pages before it, the table looks good. If i delete all the pages after it, it remains overset. If i delete even just 1 page or two pages before it, it looks good again. Does this help you in understanding what is going on at all? I cant figure out why.. they are all set to the master page, which has no text boxs on it - only guides. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HPROLP:

No, it's very mysterious! But I'm sure it's a quick answer. I don't need it packaged with fonts or images. Just the document.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, I just realized when i move a graphic on the spread the table is on (the left page) table is on the right page, it impacts what displays not only in the table, but also in the text box on the left page. I determined the text wrapping on the image was causing the issue! thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent. I couldn't think of what else it could be. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the guessing would be quickly resolved if you can share your document - at least this one page. You can delete rest of the pages - but not Masters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines