Exit

Text wrapping issue in CS6

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have this issue on a multi pages multi layered CS6 project:

The text wrapping around the images or blocks does not always use the same scale. Normally each click adds an increment of 1 mm. But for many of the blocks, the scale is not the same. For instance I have to reach 37 mm to have an effective space of 10 mm, which makes it laborious and unpredictable. Some blocks are right and some are wrong. What should I look for?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Let's illustrate this a bit.

You have two different "modes" for scaling objects in InDesign. This is a setup in your InDesign Preferences under tab General. One will apply a scaling percentage, the other one will scale the object and still defines the object as 100% scaled, that's the default setting.

Two rectangles with the same amount of text wrap, but different effective values of text wrap.

The nominal values are the same:

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-1.PNG

The left one has 100% scaling percentage applied, the right one

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alpshiker,

it depends how the object was scaled.

If you see 100% scaling for the object with the text wrap applied, your increment will be an effective 1  mm.

If you see a different percentage value it's 1 mm * the scaling factor.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that's what it is linked with! Now I understand. So the scale is not linked to the block but to the reduction factor of the image contained in that block. So I suppose that I have to live with it unless I scale down all images to the 100% printed size in Photoshop. Thanks for your explanation, Uwe.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mhhh... I must be missing something else. Is there a way to reset à block to 100% without changing its size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's illustrate this a bit.

You have two different "modes" for scaling objects in InDesign. This is a setup in your InDesign Preferences under tab General. One will apply a scaling percentage, the other one will scale the object and still defines the object as 100% scaled, that's the default setting.

Two rectangles with the same amount of text wrap, but different effective values of text wrap.

The nominal values are the same:

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-1.PNG

The left one has 100% scaling percentage applied, the right one 50%.

So the effective value of the right one is 5mm:

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-2.PNG

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-3.PNG

When working with the Transform panel you could redefine the scaling of the selected object to 100%:

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-4-RedefineScalingTo100.png

That would get you the same value for nominal and effective text wrap:

TextWrap-Scaled-vs-Scaled-5-RedefineScalingTo100.png

FWIW: I would never apply text wrap to a placed image directly.

Always to the frame holding the image or, even better, use a different object like an extra graphic frame for that purpose.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Uwe, that's fantastic!

1. I had the wrong preference setting (apply percentage to content). Now set to: Adjust percentage.

This may have been changed inadvertantly at some point, probably when I changed computers, hence the two kind of working patterns in the same document.

2. I was aware that there was a way to reset percentage, but I was trying to do it from right click - transform - put to scale - 100%, and it did not work. Now that you suggested the Transform panel menu - redefine scaling to 100%, it works!

I can now clear all discrepencies.

Many Thanks, Uwe!

kind regards from Switzerland

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines