• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There is a way to bypass the Search/Replace Font menu

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end I had to erase some PostScript Type 1 fonts from my Windows 10 PC.

Now I would like to know if there is a way to bypass the Search/Replace Font menu, such as a font substitution table in order to allow the Adobe programs to AUTOMATICALLY change the Type1 Courier with the OTF Courier std or the Type1 Symbol with he OTF Symbol.

All the times I open a book, I must spend some minutes for each file, always answering the same questions. It is a real waste of time, in my system I have more than 1500 documents and 300 books to manage.. try to imagine..

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no built-in capability for automate the replacement of fonts in that way.

Perhaps someone has developed or could develop such as a script, or you could if you can write scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve, I hope something happens, after having removed the possibility to use the PostScript fonts, I think that this type of problem afflicts a lot adobe users.  A script... I will study this type of solution..
My manuals are all built using Helvetica and, luckily, I found that Roboto can easily substitute it, but I did not erased Helvetica from the system, I have created a new Paragraphs Style Guide to change the Helvetica font in the books.
But to manage the font changes that can happen in a page outside fro the Paragraph/Character Stile Guide I must use the Search/Replace Font menu, or, deleting the font file, sarch a trick to make it automatically.
The programs I heavily used in the past (Interleaf, Framemaker and Quark x-press) did not provide the Characters Style Guide and therefore, at the beginning, I did not take advantage of this facility (it was not in my culture).

If I had used the Character Style Guide everywhere, I probably wouldn't have this problem today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I wrote a script for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasyan,

Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very muth Kasyan I will try it today. I had a look to the script manual, but I did not find a way to change the fonts.

Tanks again!

Carlo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote a few scripts for replacing fonts.
Here's the most advanced version with a more detailed description.

Basically, you should create a list of fonts in pairs: find this — change to this.

Changing fonts in InDesign by script is buggy! There's no equivalent of the find/replace font command available for scripting, but I tried to implement it as much as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines