• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There is room for text in a text frame, but the text is flowing to the next frame in the chain

Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My text is all paragraphs of one line. There are no Keep rules. Every paragraph ends with a return, not a column break or a frame break. There is no text wrap on the page. All text frames are rectangles with the same column width (the width is determined by an object style). The shaded area in the first image is empty space in a text frame that can certainly accommodate several lines of text. Instead the text insists on flowing to the next frame. The exact same layout is replicated on other pages using different fonts and the text flows as expected.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 5.05.33 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-11-09 at 5.06.07 PM.png

Why is the text not fitting where it should? I saved as IDML, restarted InDesign, and restored preferences. I have tried using both the current and prerelease of InDesign (both of which claim to be version 17.0.0.96).

InDesign 17.0.0.96

MacOS 11.6

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

I discovered the problem. It exists between the left and right ears of the user. 

I am using object styles for the panels but I'm using two styles because the panels have two different bottom margins. What I did was adjust the margins on one panel then Redefine Style. The shorter panels style is based on the longer panels. I adjusted the margins on what I though was a long panel then redefined the style, assuming the change would propagate to all panels, not just the short panels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you have non-breaking spaces between the names. You may also have No Break set in some way but that doesn't show in the screen capture.

My guess is the next line has a name that is too wide for the column without being allowed to break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have DLBs between names, and the bullet is a variable. I do not have no break applied anywhere, but my spaces are non-breaking spaces and any hyphens are non-breaking hyphens. The intent (and the result) is that lines can only break after a full name and before a bullet. The next name in the list is long, but not too long to fit on an entire line in the next text frame, which is the same width as the one causing my headaches. If it can fit there, why not here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the frames are the same?

Can you post a sample?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Scott,

Have you made any progress on figuring this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not, but the client went with a condensed font so the problem does not occur. I still have the rejected version and I might revisit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a page of the file, Scott?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the problem. It exists between the left and right ears of the user. 

I am using object styles for the panels but I'm using two styles because the panels have two different bottom margins. What I did was adjust the margins on one panel then Redefine Style. The shorter panels style is based on the longer panels. I adjusted the margins on what I though was a long panel then redefined the style, assuming the change would propagate to all panels, not just the short panels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved!! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines