• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

† Theunis de Jong (1966–2020)

Guide ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better known under his nickname “Jongware”, our brilliant and famous colleague Theunis de Jong died on November 28 at the age of 54.

Everyone in this forum—and especially the older generation I belong to—will surely understand what this death means to the InDesign community. I invite the Adobe team, moderators, persons in charge… to create a dedicated tribute page. As Theunis had many many friends here (Peter, Uwe, Gregor… well! I won't mention you all, buddies!), it would be really attentive to give them a space of collective memory.

I have posted a more personal—and written—tribute on my website (I would be very touched if you read it, of course). It contains a quote that I think justified to share here with you anyway. A month ago, as he knew his days were numbered, Theunis wrote to me:

“I am really happy to have been a member of that community for so many, many years, and having been able to teach people the occasional tidbits about design, layout, and typography, InDesign in general and scripting specifically.” —Theunis de Jong, Oct. 7, 2020.

Take care,

Marc Autret

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/theunis

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. It's another wonderful way to rememeber him, Michel.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We remember with respect, thank you Michel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A beautiful tribute!

Merci, Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such sad news 😢 He will be missed.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so sad to hear. R.I.P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to know about this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Gustavo (from Madrid)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such sad news.

Personally, Theunis was a regular help to me in my earlier days of using the forums, and gave me the push to learn to write my own scripts.

From a forum standpoint, he was one of the greatest contributors to this forum. Not just for the volume of posts that he would contribute to, but also for the quality of his answers; his wit and humor within those answers; the lengths he would go to in order to provide the answers; and his solutions that would not only solve an issue for one poster, but quite often the entire community. One item that comes to mind was an article contributed to InDesignSecrets – tackling tables through scripting – an issue that is often a pain-point for InDesign users who have to deal with tables en masse: https://creativepro.com/tackling-tables-through-scripting/

We will miss you greatly Theunis. Rest in peace.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a loss. And not just for his age, and the years that he may have otherwise had to enrich us further with his knowlege and perspective. But especially now, when information exchange online is so often embroiled in tribalism and negativity. May his contributions and example both live on, and may we each do our best to honor them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He will be missed.  A sad loss for everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally gutted to learn of his passing. He was,  I think, my all-time favorite person I've met on the Internet, ever.

I wonder if it's out of place to ask Those Who Maintain These Forums to give him a posthumous "LEGEND" tag? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered this thread after a long absence from the forums and it saddens me to find that Jongware has been taken from us. He was a generous and thoughtful friend to everyone and as everyone else has said will be greatly missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theunis is a great example of having discovered his gift early and then giving it to others.  In fact, there are many like him on this very post.  I don't know if it's possible to fully express the meaning of that quality a person.

Thank you so much, Marc.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Chuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marc for the thoughtful and moving words on the passing of Theunis as well as the tribute site.

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just worked this out and I'm shocked and saddened. We all know how meaningful any help can be - and then there's Theunis de Jong with his ^.+?: - changing my world for the better. This is a loss. His simple comments, kind regard for people on forums was always direct and refreshing.

Best wishes to his family and friends, and to all his students especially - let's carry on in his style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my i am shocked Jongware's scripts helps me a lot. He teaches us and solve some sophisticated code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saddened to hear this news. The InDesign scripting community is made up of a small select group, of which he was an amazing contributor. He will be missed. Condolenses to his family and friends.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's so sad, have been ready Ng lots his posts and tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines