• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Threaded Text Boxes, When text is enlarged it deletes itself?

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I am designing a 48 page/25 spread document with all my information in threaded text boxes. I'm halfway through my document (pages 23-24) and when I use one of my paragraph styles (that makes my text 36 pt w/ 43 leading) it pushes my information down a few text boxes (like 5 spreads down). I have pressed backspace to see if it was just a bunch of random spaces/breaks but when I backspace it deletes all of my text. 

How do I apply my paragraph style with retaining my information? Even not using styles, just making the point size of what I have selected bigger, it still has the same issue.

(btw I am a student rn so sorry if this doesn't make sense)

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

I doubt InDesign is deleting the text with a single Backspace unless the text is seleted—tap Ctrl/Cmd Y to open Story Editor view to see that it is still there. Also, work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled so that you don't have to guess about random spaces/breaks. My guess is that there is a page break character in there, or a keep setting or that the text just doesn't fit but I can't tell you what it is without seeing the layout. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt InDesign is deleting the text with a single Backspace unless the text is seleted—tap Ctrl/Cmd Y to open Story Editor view to see that it is still there. Also, work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled so that you don't have to guess about random spaces/breaks. My guess is that there is a page break character in there, or a keep setting or that the text just doesn't fit but I can't tell you what it is without seeing the layout. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea it techinically isn't deleting it, in story Editor my text is there but has the red line streched from where the problem is and down. I have a screenshot, If you need more lmk

Thank You!!

2020-04-25 (4).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the style in question, check the Keep Options. Specifically check the Start Paragraph attribute. It might be formated to start on the next page or even the next odd or even page.

It’s almost always a good idea to post your questions with screen shots. And it’s almost always a good idea to put as much relevant information into your screen shots as possible. This means using Normal view, not preview, and showing all frame edges and hidden characters (Type > Show Hidden Characters).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another possibility: "No Break" has been applied to that bit of text, whether manually or by character style (I know I do this often with hyperlinks so they stay together and not split), and because of that, no longer fits in that column at the new size, so it's become "overset"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines