• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff files not importing with transparency.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been posted before but there seems to be confusion in every case.

Please DO NOT respond with "you have save the .tiff with 'save transparency' checked". 

The Issue-

I upgraded to the latest InDesign (18.0) and now my .tiff files are no longer imported with the transparency.

My previous version of InDesign used to automatically show the transparent background. We are talking about the same .tiff files I've been working with for years that previously imported with a transparency, no extra steps needed.

The Workaround-

I have to open the .tiff file in Photoshop and resave it with the 'save transparency' check box marked. 

The Question-

Is there a new setting or something that needs to be adjusted? An import option for the alpha channel or transparency check box or something so I don't have to open Photoshop and resave every .tiff?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you have to save the TIFF with... 🙂

Does it help if you check the "Show Import Options" box on the file import dialog, and make sure that the box is checked and the right alpha channel is selected?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is greyed out on some of my tiffs.

On other .tiffs the option is there and this works, thank you!

I can only imagine that, on the greyed out images, perhaps the original was never saved with the 'save transparency' setting checked (Doh!)

I am unclear what the difference is regarding my previous InDesign installs.

I've been working with the same image library for almost 4 years now and this issue has never arisen before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly some subtle default changed.

Might be a good case for a script to manage the import; I am not sure if one could check the file status and complete the import as it did before/by former default, but that could be a path other than you have to convert all your working images.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something about the tif format you need? Why not batch everything to .PSDs? PSDs include transparency without messing with a dialog, and has the added benefit of layer access via InDesign’s Object Layer Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Rob. PSD is an excellent format for Adobe applications for all the reasons Rob mentioned. I don't recall anyone promoting TIFF. Is there a reason you want to use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Regarding the file format- the customer has given me a database to pull from. I have no control over what type of file they send me. I am free to resave or change the file but the original file -the .tiffs- is what I have to work with. I have about 1,000+ image files so it would a chore because then I have to relink everything. I don't think InDesign automatically relinks in a folder if the file extension has changed.

I appreciate your answer, you're not wrong. I hate .tiffs anyway and could batch them but who's going to pay for that time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are free scripts to re-link links - search forum or use Google.

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kattdreams, I totally understand that. They won't pay you for converting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But sometimes you do extra things to make your work easier... Especially when there are free tools available. 

If someone is hiring you to do the job - should they care how you do it? They pay you for the final result agreed amount of money.

If you don't like the source files - you can either make your work harder or easier...

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An action to resave as PSD would take no time at all. Run it and have the files saved in a new folder. Then you can then use InDesign's relink to folder command with the "Match same filename but this extension option." Use PSD and you're done.

2022-11-03_07-40-46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Kattdreams , I was going to post a script last week, but forgot to hit post.

Uses BridgeTalk to open the document’s tiffs, resave as PSDs and relink, so you can run the batch from InDesign with the ID document open. Can’t test on the latest 2023 versions, but it should work. It archives the existing TIFs to a folder named TIFs inside of your link folders. If you want to try it, test it on a doc with a few tifs to make sure it works in the new versions:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/e9b84787-362e-4ac1-719c-e5daa2e30291

//Opens TIF links, saves as PSDs, and relinks

tiffToPSD()

function tiffToPSD(){
    var bt = new BridgeTalk();  
    bt.target = "photoshop"; 
    if (app.documents.length > 0) {
        var lnks = app.documents[0].links;
        var np;
        for (var i = 0; i < lnks.length; i++){
            if (lnks[i].linkType == "TIFF" && lnks[i].status == LinkStatus.NORMAL) {
                convertTIF(lnks[i].filePath, bt)
            } 
            bt.onResult = function(resObj) { 
                np = resObj.body
                lnks[i].relink(File(np))
            }
        };   
    } else {
        alert("No Documents Open")
        return
    }
}

/**
* Convert a TIFF to PSD 
* @ param TIFF’s file path 
* @ param Bridgetalk instance 
* return new file path 
*/

function convertTIF(pa, bt){
    bt.body = psScript.toString() + "\rpsScript('"+pa+"');";
    bt.onError = function( inBT ) { alert(inBT.body); };  
    bt.send(8);  

function psScript(pa) {  
        app.bringToFront();

//archive folder for TIFFS
        var ap = File(pa).parent + "/TIFFs"
        var af = Folder(ap)
        af.create()

//open and copy to archive
        var of = open (File(pa));
        File(pa).copy(File(ap + "/" + of.name))

var n = pa.split( "." )
        if ( n.length > 1 ) {
            n.length--;
        }
        n = n.join(".");

//PSD options
        var so = new PhotoshopSaveOptions();
        so.alphaChannels = true;
        so.embedColorProfile = true;
        so.layers = true
        so.spotColors = true;

of.saveAs(new File(n + ".psd"), so, true);
        of.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);  
        File(pa).remove()

return n + ".psd"
    }  
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines