• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tight letterspacing where footnote reference is

Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever there is footnore reference at end of paragraph. That particular line has very tight spacing.

Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 15.35.59.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

We are getting closer. I'm guessing you are using an ME version of InDesign, with direction controls? Check the direction of the text. When I copy the text from that file to another one, you can see how it changes the order of the text.

2023-01-18_09-57-25.png

When I change the paragraph composer from Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer (which is the correct one to use for the Middle East version), to the Adobe Paragraph Composer it straightens it right out. I don't know what problems that would

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

Well it's either letterspacing values or the lack of actual spaces between the letters.

Let's rule the latter option out first. Select the word "this", and tap control or command Y to open up story editor. Be sure that Type > Show Hidden Characters is enabled. Do you see a little dots in front and after "this"? If not, add them.

If yes, select "viathsiplace" and reset your kerning and tracking values:

2022-12-22_09-03-45.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there are spaces but the tight lettering only seems to occur on those lines where the footnote reference number is (which in my document is always the last line of the paragraph).

So i'll have to adjust the kerning for 200 plus places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Summayah5FC7:

After I posted my answer I wondered if maybe there was a GREP style in play that impacted the end of the paragraph, but it was the only footnote I could see in your screenshot.

Now knowing that they always fall at the end of the line, could you share a screenshot of the paragraph style definition? Or could you copy that one paragraph with the note to a new InDesign file and share that file so that we can take a look ourselves?

You could put it on a file sharing server like dropbox and post a link here (public) or click on my avatar and message me directly (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a 'no break grep style' which is applied to the last 7 characters of each paragraph

.{7}\r

Having another look, not all the last lines have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word each other! on this page is squashed.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 20.32.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 20.34.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't by any chance selected that text when making the footnote reference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

It seems to me it's just the paragraph that have a few words on the final line that are impacted. I keystroked the controls that relate to spacing and did not get the same result. Are there overrides on the paragraphs?

~Barb

2022-12-22_17-00-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

We are getting closer. I'm guessing you are using an ME version of InDesign, with direction controls? Check the direction of the text. When I copy the text from that file to another one, you can see how it changes the order of the text.

2023-01-18_09-57-25.png

When I change the paragraph composer from Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer (which is the correct one to use for the Middle East version), to the Adobe Paragraph Composer it straightens it right out. I don't know what problems that would cause elsewhere though—I'm just watching that one paragraph. I'm still thinking it might be a directional issue. I don't have those controls in my version of InDesign so I cannot play with that part of it any further.

2023-01-18_10-00-11 (1).gif

On what I think is an unrelated note, that one paragraph is using a mixture of the English UK dictionary and the English USA dictionary. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i am using the ME version . The direction of the text is left to right as below.

Thats right. When i change from world ready paragraph composer to adobe paragraph composer, the problem goes. Not sure what effect that has had on the rest of the Doc.

I checked and was using arabic dictionary. I've changed it to English UK. Thanks for spotting that.

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.31.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By changing the the normal paragraph composer the arabic text inside the paragraphs becomes individual letters. But i'll just make them into seperate paragraphs and assign world ready paragraph composer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

Very glad you were able to get back on track. It was a learning opportunity for all of us. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines