• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiny cursors in ID?

Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Win 11) I switched my primary monitor from my central 4K to a side HD screen, and it's caused a number of minor headaches as apps don't know where to open windows and things are scaled oddly.

I've fixed most of the issues except that ID — alone — now has teeny-tiny document cursors. The regular arrow, over UI elements, is fine, but text, select, direct select etc. are perhaps one-quarter normal size.

I reset preferences. Didn't help. My curses are not tiny at the moment.

Any known cause/fix here?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢
TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been fighting my own UI scaling challenges (new 4k monitor, still using LiveCycle ES4 on Win11) so I'm posting in your thread more to bookmark it for my own future research, and less because I have Actual Solutions for you.

But: You do already know about the UI Sizing slider in the User Interface Scaling section of the InDesign Preferences, right?

How about the High DPI button in the Compatibility tab of the properties for the shortcut? That's been useful to me in my struggles (although it hasn't fixed everything, it might be handy in your situation with two monitors of differing pixel densities). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me with LC ES4/AEM 6 on a 27 in uHD monitor:

image.pngimage.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I've been dealing with high-res systems and mismatched setups for a long time, back to when it took special drivers and utilities.

This problems seems to come down to many apps etc. having been installed and tweaked with one configuration (the 4K monitor as primary), and switching to the HD monitor creates micro-chaos everywhere. I got almost everything straightened out, but nothing would fix the tiny-cursor issue and I had another app problem as well.

So I just reversed it all. 😛

(Goal was to get around the stupid, stupid limitations of the taskbar under Win11 and put it anywhere but at the bottom of the primary monitor, where I can't see it when ID etc. is full screen and I further lose it when I switch the main display input. None of the crummy Win options would work right, so I just put it back.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your monitor scale set to?

I usually don't mix scale and the UI interface. Bad juju.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much have to if you don't have matching monitors.

I've probably dragged along with this older HD monitor as long as I should. Need to either replace it or give one of those gorgeous 5K panoramic ones a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...I finally had to bite the bullet a while back and ordered a matching monitor. I now have two Dell 27" QHD monitors. It was better but the new UI Scaling has made things much better, though there's still room for improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only use it for things like (in ID) the palette array. I have a really old, vertical page monitor to the right that nearly always has a browser on it. Only reason to replace it is that it's a bit of a power hog by modern standards.

My main reason for not buying a replacement for the HD monitor is that I have a very nice, very expensive graphics monitor sitting on my worktable. It has a cracked solder joint somewhere in the input section and is therefore unreliable; I have not tracked down the fault and refuse to give up. >:{

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines