• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC formatting issue with Master Pages

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a multiple document book. I created a Master Page for Chapter Headers using (CH. "ChapterNumber" - "Section"). This works great in the event I want to reorder the Chapters or Delete Chapters.

However, I can not get the Chapter Headers - which are formatted in the style "Ch Header" to appear in my TOC list.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe text has to be in the document flow to be accessible for TOC, index, cross-refs etc.

Use a parent page for the layout of each chapter header page, but put the text in the live flow.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you enter the per-chapter text? On the master/parent page?

If so, override the master-page object on the actual page by Cntl-Shift-click/Cmd-Shift-click on the text frame.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will that place the text in the flow for TOC collection? I've never quite been sure if it finds loose text boxes or not, and the item can appear out of sequence as well.

Another alternative, a bit complicated but following what the OP has already done, is to flow text across these master pages and put an invisible dupe of the chapter heading in it. That is, put a linked frame in the text flow on the page, let the master page layout carry the visible content, and put a single line of white or None colored text on the page (with breaks, etc.) duplicating the chapter title. The TOC process will definitely pick that up, in its proper place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the style is used multiple times on the same page (unlikely) or if the placement is mixed (some standalone, some in the text flow), it should work fine. Presumedly, the style is used once per chapter.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd define a specific style for it (Chapter Heading invisible) and add that to the TOC list.

But good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines