• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC not appearing in epub

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all....I have indesign 2014cc and making an epub....made the toc, included the styles, etc. when I export to epub the TOC is simply not there....i can SEE it in indesign, upon export, there's nothing, not even a blank page. Am I missing clicking something somewhere?

thanks for any help, been trying to find the answer for 3 days now! exasperated!

carrie

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Ha, well, what you need to do is to make it part of the text flow of the book itself.

So, in InDesign, cut the text of the TOC, and delete the text frame/s (and pages) it was in.

Then paste the text of the TOC wherever it should go in the book, somewhere at the beginning, presumably.

It will now appear in the right place when exported to ePub.

Of course, if you need to update it in any way in InDesign, it will now be a problem to do so, because technically, the TOC itself no longer exists, as far as

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the TOC not appearing in the ePub navigation pane, or an actual TOC that should be part of the ePub text itself? In my answer below, I'm presuming the former...

When you export the ePub, you should see the "Export Options" dialog appear, which allows you to set things like font embedding in the ePub, cover image, etc.

One of the things you can set there (under the General tab), is options for the Navigation TOC. There are 2 options: "File Name", and "Multi Level (TOC Style)".

It sounds like you should be choosing the Multi Level option. Then select the name of the saved TOC.

It should then appear in the navigation pane of you ePub.

However... if you mean that the table of contents simply isn't appearing as part of your actual ePub, read on...

What could have happened is that you inserted the TOC as separate text frame in the appropriate part of the InDesign document, but since it's a separate text frame from the main text, it's also a separate story. So InDesign will first export the entire contents of the first story (i.e., your entire book), and only then deal with the second story (i.e., your TOC).

If that's the case, you may find that the TOC is actually there in the ePub -- right at the end of the book! Is that in fact the case?

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

part of the epub itself...an actual page..

holy cow it's at the end!!! how do i fix that? i love you already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, well, what you need to do is to make it part of the text flow of the book itself.

So, in InDesign, cut the text of the TOC, and delete the text frame/s (and pages) it was in.

Then paste the text of the TOC wherever it should go in the book, somewhere at the beginning, presumably.

It will now appear in the right place when exported to ePub.

Of course, if you need to update it in any way in InDesign, it will now be a problem to do so, because technically, the TOC itself no longer exists, as far as InDesign is concerned. But in that case, just generate a new one, and repeat the steps above (i.e., cut the text, delete the frames, and paste where needed.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry! just got back from work and YES it worked!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a similar problem with my TOC appearing at the end of my epub instead of near the beginning. I don't want to cut and paste it as the first person suggests as I want to be able to update it, so how do I make stay at the beginning where it should be?

Thanks

Alice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alice,

create and update your TOC always on the pasteboard, not on a document page.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines