• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC set up doesn't work

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm setting up a book in Indesign, based on a word file. The TOC is not bringing in all the chapters that should be there. Header styles checked, nothing weird there.  Only three items apear. Two of them come from a separate word file. I checked an old book where it still worked properly. When I updated the TOC all text disapeared... nu clue what's going on here...

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen short of:

• Your book setup
  • Your TOC style
  • The paragraph style panel and character style panel for:
    • A chapter that is working
    • A chapter that is not working

I know it seems like a lot of info, but without seeing your setup, it's hard to tell what is going wrong.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be ten chapters. They are all missing. only a peice of the title(which shoudn't be ther but I know what happende so not a problem) and the last two items are in it..Schermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 17.59.49.pngSchermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 17.56.56.pngSchermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 17.59.10.pngSchermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 17.59.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I did not check my typing/spelling, too quick.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this paragraph panel I used for the style of all chapter headers

working and not working

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 18.07.48.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen captures do not show where the styles are being used. Can you select the text to show the paragraph style being applied?

For example, I seen the style "hoofdstuk" in your TOC style at level 2 and I see the style settings--but I don't see where it is actually applied in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean? is it this?

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-04 om 17.59.23.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling it has to do with an automated TOC in the original word file. Could that be the problem?

But than I replaced the text, I even reinstalled Indesign but still the same problem occurs...
And it doesn't explain why it woked in an earlier stage/book and when I updated the TOC there the problem was there too..

I'm afraid my knowledge of InDesign goes short here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be able to share the document using the Creative Cloud or other method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I would like to do that!

but.. a new challenge ;). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to admit that I do not use the adobe cloud as I should so I'm not sure how to share my 'open' indesign file with you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the file but I'm just about to start my class so I won't be a look at it for a few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are soo kind!! thank you so much! please don't worry about the time!

For my clients, and my own, privacy I take the link out now if that is ok.

thnx again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi machteldh60540199,

you said: "When I updated the TOC all text disapeared... nu clue what's going on here..."

Does only all the text in the TOC's text frame(s) disappear?

Or does all the text disappear that is in the TOC plus all the text in the main story where the TOC should pull its contents from? If you see this the text frame holding the TOC is threaded with the main story. Never do this, do not update the current TOC. The TOC's story and every other story must be different stories ( different text threads ) and must not be tied or threaded together. Best add a new TOC in its own text frame first before you go on with your project.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

thank you. Yes the second thing occured but I found it out so I removed the tie and made a new frame. But still the chapternumbers, chaptertitles and authors with the selected paragraph styles do not apear....

Do you thinks I should remove this text, mentioned above, from the main storie and type it again without copying from word?

thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely got something to do with the Word file and the text flow. Technically, your TOC should be working.

When I cut & pasted the chapter number, chapter title, and author byline into a separate text box, they showed up in the TOC. Going back to Uwe Laubender's advice, I would separate each chapter into it's own flow so the chapters are not interconnected. Another option if you are short on time is to cut the TOC items from the flow (what I did to test it), put them in their own text frame, and turn on textwrap for the frame.

A couple of notes...

When bringing Word files in, turn on Show Import Options and do not inport any unwanted settings. Gennerally, the Word Table of Contents is useless in an InDesign layout. 

Try to use paragraph space in your styles rather than entering in multiple returns. 

If I get some time later, I'll try to trouble-shoot it some more, but there is definitely a problem with the text flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your advice!! I'm very glad that you comfirmed my suspicion about the wordflow.

As you guesseed, I run a little out of time with this project so I follow your advice of placing the chapters in separate boxes.

The import options I always turn on but still a lot of rubish comes with the one (italics in running text) I want to import.

Lately I used Incopy to get rid of all those unwanted settings.
Sinnce then the problem occurred. So I'm not sure if that is a good way out..
Paragraph spacing a good advice, forgot a little apout it

I will defenitely separate the chapters in my next project!

Thanks again for you time, advice and help, I'm very grateful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines