Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Text Anchor not found?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting as epub I got error message 

Found TOC hyperlinks which don't have target text anchor information. Please update TOC with "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option turned on.

TOC Text Anchor not found : 1

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-499" in "my file" is missing

I have already  "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option turned on. How can I find "_idTOCAnchor-499" to see what's wrong. I do have quite a bit of text that I added just for the TOC using the overlapping text box method, these are all showing up fine. I have nearly 200 entries in TOC and if I can just isolate the one problem it would be great. Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create a specific EPUB TOC (for the dynamic TOC), and save it as a named style? And then specify that style name in the EPUB export?

That may not be it, but leaving all of the TOC setup at defaults can sometimes confuse the export process.

After doing that and re-generating the TOC, if the export still gives a problem, purge the InDesign file. Save it as IDML, then open that file and save as an INDD under a new name. Generate the TOC, and try the export again. (That process purges corrupt bits and rewrites parts of the doc structure, often fixing annoying little problems as a result.)

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did create a specific EPUB TOC and saved it as a named style and then specified that style name in the EPUB export. When you say re-generating the TOC, do you mean updating it or delete and recreating it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.. (And kudos for doing those steps right; they're often overlooked.) But any time a TOC is wonky, step one is to delete it, preferably do a Save-As to a new file name to purge junk like the undo data, open and re-generate the TOC. These errors are often caused by editing around a marker after the TOC is generated. (Much of this applies to Indexes, end notes, etc.  as well.)

If that doesn't work, the IDML->INDD purge, after deleting the TOC, might be enough.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines