• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tracking changes

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have documented that when I move from two different comptuers, if I have set the tracking to make the text just fit in a text box, when I move to a different system it might no longer fit. This has been happening when I set tracking to -15. Then I open on a different systems and a word is gone. If I set the tracking to -16, the word comes back. Has anyone else seen this? We have a variety of designers that might work on the same page using both Windows and Mac systems. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://creativepro.com/force-text-reflow-when-indesign-forgets-to-flow-the-text/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Advice:

Always use clean paragraph styles, never based on Normal nor Basic Paragraph Style.

Dont tend to reach for Tracking first. 
Instead, in your paragraph style, set

Hyphenation 

9,3,4,1, off off off

And set Justification ( your real tracking)

80/100/120

-5%/0%/5%

95%/100%/105%

Set Kerning Method to Optical

Therefore stop manually tweaking your text with Tracking values manually applied. Delegate that to InDesign.

Having said that, moving between 2 computers that have maybe two different versions of the same font might flow it differently. It can be hard to see differences in versions of fonts, but at any rate, resorting to manually applied Tracking values that are so exact is much like micro-managing. You create more problems than you solve.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines