• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent type with some not transparent

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a text box filled with a list of awards and dates. The dates are interspersed within the text. Client wants the dates to remain 100% white but the body copy to have some transparency. The box sits over an image overlapping the photo and the background.

I know how to make the text box transparent, but it affects all the type in the text box. Tried changing the dates to outlines but that doesn’t work either.

Any suggestions?

Using latest version of InDEsign

Jeff

Attached a screenshot to show the copy and image (For now I just made the body copy a tint of black but it obviously has no transparency.)

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 5.07.37 PM.png

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only method I can think of is to use two text frames, superimposed, with identical content. Set the text style to solid white.

Make the bottom one whatever opacity you want for the transparency effect. Lock that frame.

In the top one, select each string of award title text and set it to a Character Style with the text color set to None.

A bit fussy, especially if you have to edit the content, but a nifty effect.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Char / Para Styles have Overprint Fill option? 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A work-around might be to set your type in Illustrator, where you can apply transparency selectively, place the .ai file into InDesign. Make type edits in Illustrator and update the InDesign link. Tip- add a dark background layer in Illustrator, so you can see the white type, then use object layer options for the placed .ai file to hide the dark background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines