• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trick for including ligatures and tracking?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

I am doing a mail merge document to print guest addresses for wedding invitations. I set up the design in illustrator for a client, everything looks great. For the address, the font is set to use ligatures and tracking. Because of the way this font is designed (Le Grand Ligatures, all caps), it spaces fine while using ligatures. However, when I go into inDesign, it will not allow me to use the ligatures when the tracking goes above 10. I'd like to set it at 150. Is there a workaround to tell inDesign to use ligatures with tracking?Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.50.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-06 at 11.50.38 AM.png

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel,

would it help applying the tracking only to parts of your text?

Leaving out all occurences of "AND" and "LL" for example.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It won't because it is a data merge document. All the names and addresses are different, plus there are lots of ligatures beyond the LL. The LL just happens to be the one showing up in this address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hm. I had hopes for adding a GREP Style to the applied paragraph style that would single out all the cases where tracking should not be done or only to a distinct extend. That GREP Style could apply a character style where the tracking value is set below a certain threshold.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines