• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble importing large Word doc into Indesign

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be missing something really obvious.

Imported a pdf to IDD which went well and I got to learn the paste method.

When trying to do the same with another 100 page document, but Word format this time, I can only see the automatic paste for the first page.

The rest of the pages must be stored somewhere for me to be able to paste them, but cannot find it.

Help very much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift + click when placing the file. This will autoflow the entire document and create pages needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to nit-pick with you just a bit to help you learn more about InDesign. The term "paste" implies that you have something on the clipboard, i.e. either copied or cut from another location. In this case you are "Placing" (importing) your content without the clipbaord, a very different operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the great advice so far:

I think you should take a bit of time and learn the software basics.

Adobe have Tutorials

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/tutorials.html?filters=%7B%22topics%22%3A%5B%5D%2C%22level%22%3A%5B...

But you can also get a free Months Trial with Linkedin Learning - and there's plenty of tutorials on their to get started.

Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Clare,

switch from View > Screen Mode > Preview to View > Screen Mode > Normal to see if your first text frame with your placed or imported text is in overset. A red [+] at the edge of the frame will show you this.

If you click the [+] you'll load the overset text to the cursor.

You can draw out another text frame with this on a different page.

You can add another page to your document using the Pages panel's Add Page command.

Go to that page in the layout window, hold the Shift key with your loaded cursor and click in an empty space inside the margin guides of the new page.  InDesign will flow in the text into as many pages that are necessary to unload the cursor.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines