• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with changing date on document with parent item/overriding

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating a book to change the date from 2018-2022 to 2018-2023. I've done this in the A pages but the B pages aren't working when I do the same changes. The dates either stay the same 2018-2022 or the B pages in the page panel go blank.

I tried entering manually but there's 400 pages and duplicating multiple pages is freezing the system.

What's the best course of action?

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , InCopy workflow , Performance , Scripting , Type , UXP Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot, the dates are indeed 2018-2023. You probably made this change manually. Regarding your problem, have you made this modification in all your templates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said you can see was me overriding that page and adding the new date. I want to update all the pages in B with the new date but the above issues - such as blank pages with the new date or non-blank pages with the old date appear, despite the parent page having the new date...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your parent pages have the new date, it's pretty weird that you have the old one displayed.

Can you test moving your parent pages and pages to a new document to see if the problem persists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested and same problem is persisting. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dngr00l can you explain how the document is set up? Is the date on Master-B? But is overrriden on every page, so you can't just update Master-B? Why do you mention duplicating pages? Where does that come into the process? - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the parent page wasn't working the way I wanted it to, I then was duplicating the pages as I was able to get the A updated with the new date, but the B was not uploading. All the pages in B are actually the same page, it's like a diary... just need the new date at the bottom of all 365 pages. I tried duplicating but my computer freezes or the rendering/loading takes too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The relevant issues that bear on your problem seem to be

1) you have a text frame on each of master pages (A and B) with the date text, and

2) changing the text in that text frame on master page B does not update the text in the document.

So, that strongly suggests that for some reason the "date text frame" on page 36 (for example) has been overridden, meaning that it is no longer connected to the master page.

Please try this experiment:

1) change the text in Master Page B's "date text frame" to something else, eg. "XXXX"

2) in the Pages panel, drag Master Page B onto page 36.

3) navigate to page 36.

4) on page 36, has the text in the "date text frame" been updated? If not, click on the "date text frame" and delete it.

5) now does the "date text frame" on page 36 show "XXXX"?

Also, I'm happy to have a look at your document if you are okay to share it. That will make it easy for me to see what's going wrong.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines