Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with presentation mode

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends,
since the last update for InDesign I have problems with the presentation mode. Every time I use it, the surface/window is changed to the maximum size.
(Example: InDesign window = half screen -> CMD + W -> Indeisgn covers the whole screen).

Before the update this was not an issue,

now it is really annoying, because I have to adjust the window again after every "CMD+W"!

Can anyone confirm that they also have this problem?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

I ran into this in my hopes of figuring this annoyance as well... But I found the solution and wanted to share (hopefully it works for everyone else as well). 

1. Open your document (Make sure to just have one Indd file open right now). 

2. Hit Shift W to go into preview mode then again to go back, just to check that it does indeed shift or re-size after going back to working view

3. Align your page to exactly where you want it positioned

4. Close (but not quit) that document. There should be no fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I don't understand what you are expecting. When you enter Presentation Mode (Shift-W), it will always fill the screen and hide the InDesign interface. You use arrow keys (left or right) to navigate between pages and can press Esc (escape) to come out of this mode. I have no problems returning to my previous workspace when coming out of Presentation Mode. Is that the problem? I'm on a MacBook Pro with macOS Monterey and the current version of InDesign - 17.2.

Can you clarify what you see as the issue. Also let us know: (1) Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. (2) Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Have you tried restoring your InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your quick reply. I think I expressed myself a bit difficult and would just upload two pictures (before/after).

1) Before (pic 1) = The Indesign window is simply scaled to 50% of the screen size (to make the porblem clear).

2) I press SHIFT + W (sorry, I got the shortcut wrong!). This switches me to presentation mode.

3) When I leave the presentation mode to continue working on the document, the result is that the Indesign window fills the whole screen (see picture 2).

System=

iMac 2017 – MacMonterey 12.3.1

InDesign=

InDesign 2022 Version 17.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I misread all this, the OP wants the ID interface to go away but stay in windowed, partial-screen mode.

As far as I know, Presentation Mode is inherently full-screen with no UI or visible controls.

So, yes, it works like this for everyone... unless I'm missing something in the question.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But first of all thanks for your reply and try to help me out! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I have cleared the preferences/cache as @Steve Werner  said. Since that did nothing, I even deleted InDesign completely and reinstalled it.

You are not quite right @James Gifford—NitroPress  😉
If you look at the images uploaded by me I mean the following:
1) Image 1 = How I need the InDesign window all the time (size/shape of the window)
2) Press SHIFT+W (presentation mode)
3) Image 2 = The InDesignwindow enlarges itself to fullscreen (AFTER I am out of the presentation mode again!)

But I want the window to stay as big as in picture 1, even if I use presentation mode and go out again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're using application frame (turned on) with a resized window. Going into presentation mode and then back is resizing your window. Odd behavior - I can not replicate. When I resize my Application frame, go into presentation mode then escape out my window is the original size - no resizing. Are you using a custom workspace? Does the same thing happen using a standard workspace? Is the workspace the same before and after presentation mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your message! As mentioned before i tried a lot of thinks and at this point i´m pretty frustrated 😞

Your mentioned procedure I have not yet tried and must unfortunately report that it has also brought no success!

The window is still "resizing" (the word discribes very well - thanks for that!). Annoying!

Another think i noticed: As you can see in picture 2 is that the window is more than 100% size of my iMac. The bottom bar with percentage, page count and preflight panel has completely disappeared! You wouldn't even be able to do that by hand (because you can't drag the window further than the edge of the screen - logical).

It's really stupid that it only seems to do this to me. I can not explain it to me in any case + do not know what I should do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only to you. I have the same issue.  The bottom om my page and the bar with scroll, percentage, page count and preflight panel completely disappeare. Verry annoying because you can't drag the window further than the edge of the screen so i have to resize from the top everytime.

Hope Adobe can fix this.

imac OS Monteray InDesign 17.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the problems!

Another think i noticed is that indesign reacts slow when i push on random buttons as tools or fonts dropdown. @LindaFazili can you confirm that as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, InDesign is not slow. I only have issues after presentation mode (preview). Resizing is back to normal is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

could be a MacOS only issue…

Could it be that the enhanced options for UI Scaling are a problem?

I would set UI Scaling to "Small" in the InDesign preferences and test again.

( No problem with that functionality on my Windows 10 machine; just tested this. )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no problems on my MacBook Pro with InDesign 7.2.1 (UI scaling small). I just used it quite a bit yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Laubender for your reply, but after scaling to small and restarting Id the issue is not solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iMac & OS specs:Schermafbeelding 2022-05-18 om 13.50.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Laubender,

thanks for your response. As @LindaFazili already mentioned, that did not help me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LindaFaziliYesterday or today there was an update for InDesign. Have you already installed and tested it? Don't get your hopes up too high, unfortunately it didn't do anything for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there @CARLA_STN , is your issue solved by now? I have the same problem here... My screen resizes smaller after the presentation mode; also very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah been having this issue for a while. Have tried all the solutions mentioned + a bunch of others. Has been consistently occurring over the last few months, even between OS updates and InDesign updates.

Doesn't seem to be a problem when not in application frame mode, but it is more annoying to not have tabs than to have to resize your workspace every time you preview.

Not cool. Once you notice it, it does nothing but grate on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current theory is that it has something to do with laptop resolution vs monitor resolution, as it doesn't occur when Indesign is fullscreen on my laptop, but if I move the application frame to my monitor and make it full screen, the application frame always resizes on exiting presentation mode, and that frame size matches my laptop (my monitor is 8k, my laptop is not).

It is like InDesign doesn't remember it is on a larger screen, and defaults to the laptop screen size on exiting presentation mode, no matter what monitor it is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suspect this theory. Adobe can you talk to Apple and sort out please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has been happening to me except when i exit presentation mode, half of the window is outside the screen! adobe please fix 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. This is horrible. How much time have I spent resizing the window? I look at my work in presentation mode quite often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines