• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to understand: "Do you want the table of contents to include items in overset text".

Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to decode a message I get when updating my TOC:

"Do you want the table of contents to include items in overset text".

What on earth does that mean?

So far as I can tell, my source text has no overset and the table of contents its self has not overset. 

Wish they'd include "more information" button or similar on error messages.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

The message suggests that there is oversert text. The best way to be sure is to use Preflight. The default Preflight setting (Basic) would indicate overset text by showing a red dot at the bottom of the document like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.10.20 PM.png

If you see that, you can double-click on the error indicator. It will open up Preflight. You can navigate to show the frame that has the overset, and provide more information:

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.11.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message suggests that there is oversert text. The best way to be sure is to use Preflight. The default Preflight setting (Basic) would indicate overset text by showing a red dot at the bottom of the document like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.10.20 PM.png

If you see that, you can double-click on the error indicator. It will open up Preflight. You can navigate to show the frame that has the overset, and provide more information:

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.11.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and preflight is showing no errors. My document has no overset text.

If I click yes, it repeats the TOC (but in a weird incomplete way). I don't know where it is getting this info from. I have fully wiped and recreated the TOC and I have created TOC in other documents with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting this file to .idml, open thast and resave as a new .indd (don't overwrite the old one, just in case) and see if the problem goes away or if preflight can find the overset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying what you suggested now, but InDesign seems to freeze on the last part of opening the new IDML file?!

I will remove the TOC and try to save a IDML file to see if that makes a difference.

The weird thing is, if I don't select Yes to adding overset text in the TOC, it leaves out heaps of entries from the TOC that are in the right paragraph style and are not overset text (the document is one long text thread and these items are throughout the document in different places). When it does start the repeat, it does it after a full TOC list, and then starts the TOC from the beginning, but missing the first 3 pages)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Won't open the IDML file - freezes at the last part. Left it for 30mins, won't go past here.Screenshot 2022-10-04 105600.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resaving the .png file in a differnt format and re-link it, then try the .idml again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of PNG files throughout the whole document (client supplied) - this just happens to be the image on the last page of the file. I have changed form PNG - and moved it from being the last image. I also recreated my document and recheck all the paragraph styles, redid the TOC and now is is repeating from pg78 (so puts full TOC and then starts again from 78, but it also repeats more than once).

SEEMS TO BE WORKING!!!!! I hate Adobe since they went to CC - always get faults and errors with the programmes that we never used to get with installation discs. I assume they don't spend the time they used to checking the programme is fault-free before releasing as now they can just release an update for "bug fixes". Thanks four you responses - most appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I RETRACT LAST POST!! Not working again now. I had to adjust the breaks on my pages and move things around  bit (one long text thread) and now I have updated the TOC and the problem has come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same thing. TOC gets to the last page and then repeats itself from pg 11.....BACK TO SQUARE ONE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worrth, we do get quite a number of  posts that seem to have problems with places .png files.

After replaceing that .png, were you able to export to .IDML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I change the PNG as you suggested, but there are 100s other PNG in the file (never had issue with PNG before). I changed that one PNG and moved the postion of that product from last place, was able to open the new IDML, TOC then worked  - but as mentioned above I was adjusting the text on the pages, updated the TOC and the error has come back. Back to square one. It might correct itself again if I create another IDML, but then as soon as I do any text adjustments and update the TOC the error comes back - so not a fix. If you read both replies above, you will see I got it working and then it stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was a break issue. I have gone through and removed and reinstalled all my page breaks and it looks like it might of fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I TAKE BACK LAST REPLY! Not fixed. I don't really fancy having to create a manual TOC that changes often for a 194pg file, but looks like that will be the only solution. Wimper.. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add what Steve says, you'll want to use Preflight to find the overset. However, it may be a simple return character or something that doesn't affect the appearance of your TOC. Depending on how particular you are, if the TOC looks correct, you may or may not want to fix the overset. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines